Friday, October 14, 2011

Wellness Check

I lost Gibson last night.   I found him 20 minutes later under our bed.   But that has nothing to do w/the title of the post does it? So let's back up a bit...

Last night I took Gibson to the vet for a non-emergency!  Woohoo.  Just his annual Wellness Check and he passed w/an 'A'.  The only thing negative the vet had to say about him was that he had 'Stage 1' plaque build up.   Makes sense since I've been seriously slacking in the teeth brushing department.   Whoops.   Guess I should start making a point to do that more regularly (instead of when we just can't take his stanky breath any longer).   His weight only increased 6 oz from last year.. he was 23.9lbs, which the vet said was perfect.   Ben and I were thinking he's been looking kind of skinny.. but I guess that's just compared to most other corgis.   So, anyways, yay for a good checkup!

Now, back to me losing him.    I woke up in the middle of the night last night..   This is nothing new.  I always do around 2 or 3 to pee or to stretch out a leg cramp.  I was about to get up when I heard it... *CHIRP!*    Seriously??  We just went through this smoke detector battery nightmare (did I blog about this? I forget)  a month ago and it's happening again??  It sounded somewhat distant so I knew it was downstairs so I headed down that way.  As suspected, it was our freaky Co2 detector, that we JUST put new batteries in.   I think it is just mad at us because it is more than 5 years old.   Luckily, a change of batteries fixed things (for now), but I'm guessing we need to get a new one of these stupid things.

At this point I realized that I haven't seen Gibson curled up in a corner somewhere shaking.. and he wasn't crawling on top of us in bed to save him.   So, I started looking for him.  I looked everywhere. Twice.  I looked again and started having a heart attack when I couldn't find him, so I woke Ben up and he turned on the light so I could look under the bed.  There he was.  Like a dork.   And he stayed there til this morning... *rolls eyes*

So, that's my story.   Today is my last day of work.  Scary stuff.   Quite bittersweet...

8 comments:

Chocolate and Corgis said...

Awh, poor Gibson! I hope you enjoy staying at home. I found your blog through the OCD Corgi tumblr, love it so far!

Whosyergurl said...

omg, Kelly, don't do that to me. when you said "lost," I thought you meant as in "passed." I literally gasped out loud!
Isn't it good to get a good check-up? I can just see you down on the floor peering under the bed at Gibson...with your belly!
xo, Cheryl

That corgi :) said...

I can imagine your panic until you found him, Kelly! I occasionally "lose" Koda here too and until I find him, even though I know he can't get outside, my heart stops....

Yea on a healthy checkup!! I can't imagine him just weighing 23 pounds. Koda would be emaciated looking at that weight. The lowest he got with his cancer/start of diabetes was 28 pounds and that was too low for him. There's got to be small, middle and large with them and I think he falls into the large :)

how exciting with your last day of work! One more day closer to meeting your little girl!!!

betty

Karen and Bailey said...

when i read the first sentence, my heart skipped a few beats. im glad he was ok! yes gibson and i vote for you going to home depot and picking up a new one !

Karen and Bailey said...

oh, and when i "lose" bailey, he is either under my bed or in the kitchen corner. (fireworks, hiding from bathttime)

Peanut said...

I always forget to brush Peanut's teeth... you're not alone!

Toby said...

Poor Gibson :) One time I "lost" Toby, too. He followed me in the laundry room (=basement) and I forgot him there. When I realized he's not upstairs with me, I started calling his name, but he just wouldn't come. I looked in every room and finally I decided to go look in the basement too. He was there, behind the closed door, waiting for me :)
Silly corgi, he didn't even bark..

Jen-Gen said...

Ah the evil fire/co2 alarm! My poor pups used to get so freaked out by the alarm (which went off nearly every time we used the stove) that they went out their doggy door every time we started cooking. Luckily my new fire alarm is one special to kitchens now and doesn't over react to my fiance's cooking. Glad the vet visit went well. My older corgi is on a diet now after her last visit. No fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails