Friday, July 15, 2011

Waiting Game.. (or not!)

So, Gibson went to the vet yesterday.  I had never seen him so look so bad.  The first thing that scared me was that his weight dropped about a pound and a half since last time I took him in (about a month ago).  They didn't say anything about it, but yikes!  Anyways, he got his temperature taken (normal) and I told the assistant what was going on...

20 minutes later the vet came in and checked him out.  He was immediately concerned since he had just been in a month earlier w/the same problems and because Gibson yelped a bit when the vet touched his tummy, which he didn't do last time :( He started talking about possible food allergies  and then said he wanted to get some x-rays looking for a blockage and do some blood work to rule out pancreatitis and *gulp* addison's disease :(  I agreed, since I wanted my bubby get get better..  So, they took him back and I waited in the room for him to come back for another 20 minutes.

While he was back there, they gave him fluids (which made him look like the hunchback of notre dame) and an anti-vomiting/diarrhea medicine. The X-Ray was clear of blockages, but showed lots of extra gas (looked like little bubbles everywhere).. which I guess can be gastroenteritis?   And it also showed that his liver was kind of small.. which could have been because he was dehydrated or because of possible pancreatitis.  He then decided to give him pain medication for is tummy and sent us on our way (close to $500 later..).

I was completely freaked out that there could be something seriously wrong w/him.  As soon as we got in the car, he threw up on his bed and then he started panting.. and shaking.   I called Ben when I got home to update him, and could not stop crying.  I tried to compose myself and go back into work, but as soon as my boss asked how he was I started crying again, so she sent me home.  I'm glad she did because Gibson was still shaking and panting when I got back.  His tongue was hanging out and he just did not look right :( I called the vet (in tears) to see if it could be a reaction to something that they gave him.. but ALL the vets in the office had just taken lunch and wouldn't be back for 2 HOURS.  2.  I honestly thought he was seizing or having a heart attack!   I tried to calm him down by laying down w/him (pretty much in the spoon position) and holding his feet still.  

Eventually, his breathing slowed and the shakes were less frequent.  And THEN the vet called me back to tell me it was a side effect of the pain meds he gave him (couldn't you have told me this was a possibility?!).   After that, Gibson pretty much slept the whole day.  He seemed super out of it (I'm guessing whatever the pain meds he was given were super strong) and would sometimes wake up, walk over and look at me, then lay back down.    Ben and I were actually missing his barking :(

I was told not to give him any food or water until morning, so I could tell by evening he was starving... but also too tired to beg properly.  I was pretty exhausted too, so we both hit the hay at 9..

..and slept through the whole night!!  It was the first time since Saturday night that we had all fallen asleep and woken up in the same bed!  Without having to go out for pottys!  I woke up before my alarm because I was anxious to see how he was doing.  He seemed super tired still, but back to his old self (yay, corgi stretches!).  I let him out (to pee only!) and then fed him his stupid bland food, which he ate up and then drank a bunch of water.  We went for our normal walk and the only thing that seemed wrong was that he was more focused on finding more  food than chasing squirrels or bunnies.

So, when I started  writing this post, I was waiting to hear from the vet about his blood work...

DSC_2750
Is I better yet, moms??

Well, Ben just called me and let me know it came back NORMAL!!!!  I am so happy!  I guess it was just an infection or something that he ate like usual (just a bad case of it).  Thank you all for your thoughts (again).  He will be getting antibiotics and eating bland food for awhile, but he should be his normal Gibson self soon :)  YAYAYAYAY! :) :) :) :)

(I actually had some fun blog posts planned for this week, but I guess they'll have to wait bit longer)

12 comments:

Paula said...

yay! glad gibson is better! little mister needs to stay outta that bunny poop :-P

are the fun posts more "baby bump" pictures?!?!

Patty said...

Glad to hear Gibson is doing better :o) Handsome little fella.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the update, I was worried!

Laurie said...

Oh man, that is so scary!! I am so happy he is ok though. We love you Gibby!!!!

Steffi said...

That's such great news - glad he is feeling better!

Spaulding Acres said...

Glad Gibson is doing better!! And yes he's preparing you for motherhood, lol!

That corgi :) said...

Glad it wasn't anything serious, Kelly. Did the vet offer anything different to do so this doesn't happen again so quickly? (although I havew to say after you have your little one, I think I would put Gibson on a bland diet right away just in case as he will probably be a bit displaced those first few weeks/months adjusting with the change). He must just have a very sensitive stomach, poor little guy!

hoping he is back to normal so very soon!

betty

Peanut said...

I hate to watch our little welsh things suffer! I wonder how something so terrible can happen so suddenly. Oh Gibson, this worried me so badly. I know he'll get better because he's Gibson!

Christine said...

Kelly, I'm soooo glad Gibson's test were normal and he seems to be on the mend. Poor little guy and poor worried you! Wishing you a non-eventful weekend!

Aparna E. said...

I'm so glad he's OK! That's probably the scariest thing ever to not know what's wrong with a little four legged cutie who can't talk. Sending you and Gibson huge hugs!! <3

Karen and Bailey said...

kelly! almost started crying when i read this, but glad that in the end, things seem to be getting back to normal. we are thinking of you a gibby (hope you dont mind baileys nickname!), and, that you dont have to go to the vet again.

give him an extra hug from us please. take care!

Lois said...

His sensitive tummy might benefit from a bit of yogurt each day. Might be worth a try...I feed it to mine and despite doodle eating splurges ( YUK ), they rarely if ever have any gastro episodes..

Related Posts with Thumbnails