Monday, June 6, 2011

Sick Puppernutter

I had to take Gibson to the vet this morning.  Not fun :(

This morning he went out like usual to pee, but then he sat and ate a bunch of grass before he came inside. This usually means a tummy ache, so I was prepared for him not to want to eat, but he ate his breakfast like normal.  A few minutes later, we went out for our walk and he pooped like normal (twice), but then he just did not want to walk anymore.   I really wanted him to walk because I didn't get a chance to take him for one last night because we had people over, so I got him excited by saying "kitty" and "squirrel" a lot.   He perked up from that and seemed better, but a ways down the road, he pulled over to the side and started to poop again..  but it was diarrhea.. but not normal diarrhea..

 Cover your eyes or skip the next paragraph if you are super squeamish about these things...

It was weirdly colored and then it turned red.  Like raspberry jam red.  And there was a lot of it.   I immediately started crying and almost left it there because it was so gross.. but then realized he'd need to go to the vet and they'd need a sample.  So I scooped it up, and it was the most disgusting consistency ever.  Just mucusy and gross.  I had to seriously concentrate on not puking.  So gross..

After that though, he seemed so much better.  He felt better and wanted to walk his little heart out.  Of course, I am freaking out and want to take him home, but he wanted to keep going so we finished our normal morning walk and I waited until 7:30 for the vet's office to open.   LUCKILY they were able to get us in at 8:30.   I was thinking the worst.  He had a piece of glass or something stuck inside of him or he had cancer.  There was a lot of crying going on if you can imagine.  I've just never seen anything like this.

Well, the vet did a fecal floatation test and a fecal scrape? or something. The floatation came back normal (no parasites), but the scrape showed lots of bad bacteria.  The vet said it could have been something that he ate (we had a party last night and a friend's kid kept feeding him tomato/basil potato chips and fritos) or stress (from having so many people over yesterday? or because I'm pregnant? or the heat? or the loud band we walked by on Saturday night?).. and that blood vessels were just working in overdrive..  He's thinking it's colitis from one of those and I'm hoping he's right.    He gave him a shot of antibiotics and steroids (for his inflamed stomach/intestines) and prescribed him a bland diet and meds.  I am hoping that this will do the trick.  I am still really scared and am not allowed to feed the poor guy til tomorrow morning :(  

Keep him in your thoughts... I'll keep you updated.

18 comments:

Mary said...

Waiting to see if everything is okay is the worst. Especially when you're already emotionally charged from being pregnant. I hope Gibson is a-okay - it sounds maybe he just needed to get those greasy potato chips out of his system. And Ginger always has residual pooping issues the day after we have people working on the house (making loud noises.) Those puppies are so sensitive.

Rebecca Pugh said...

Georgie got sick like this too. She was throwing up blood and had the same type of diarrhea. I took her to the ER vet and she was in the hospital for 2 days on an IV. The vet said that she was suffering from: Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis. It was the scariest few days. After treatment (several meds and special food) - she was better. I am thinking about you and your little bug.

Paige and Dexter said...

Get well Gibson! Dexter, Violet and I are sending good thoughts and Corgi power your way. Love ya <3

Jenny said...

Hope he feels better soon! Try to hang in there! Corgi Power!

xoxo

Sarah said...

I had to take my corgi to the ER vet recently after he had a weird asthma attack. Just do what the doctors say and know that you are doing everything you can to help the poor guy. Sounds like he will be just fine.

Bailey and Cali - Two Pups, One Tale said...

oh my, that sounds really scary...I would have freaked too.
Hopefully he will be back to normal real soon. Keep us updated...

DSS said...

Poor Gibson, and poor you! Louis was ill a few weeks ago, and they put him on a steroid. You probably know, but if he's not been on a steroid before be sure to keep plenty of water around. Louis drank non-stop, and peeped non-stop as well!

Saying a little prayer that the steroid gets Mr. Gibson all straightened out :)

Aparna E. said...

OMG Kelly!! I'm so sorry for you and Gibson! I hope he'll be OK! <3 How scary. I can imagine you're scared and worried. And especially now while you're pregnant. Gah <3 <3 <3 Sending both you and Gibs huge hugs!

Michelle said...

Delurking for this one: Oh, the poor darling baby. Yes, I will keep him (and you) in my thoughts...hope he feels better soon!

Lesley Collins said...

I hope he's ok. Herman had that problem but it turned out to be a tapeworm. Ick!

Christine said...

Blue and I are sending Gibson get-well hugs. Is it the weather? I say this jokingly because Blue, who (knock on wood) never gets sick, suddenly vomited twice today. So he really commiserates with Gibson. Poor honey!

Emily said...

Oh man, when Wrigley pooped bloody diarrhea in the corner of our sunroom, I completely freaked out! We ended up leaving our dinner guests at our house to eat dinner alone as we took the little booger to the ER vet for a pretty penny. IV fluids, some Flagyl, and a piece of advice to never let him have another dose of pain medication did the trick for me! I hope Gibson feels better soon!! I completely understand what you're going through! EEK! (And I just have to mention my verification word is "pregerer"--what!)

The Bee Charmer said...

I hope he feels better soon! Sometimes their little bellies are much more delicate than they want to admit!

Dozer and Coop said...

Get well Gibson, we have our paws crossed for you and Mum has you in her prayers.

Love, Dozer and Cooper

Peanut said...

Things like this always happen with little dogs like corgis and it's frightening. Gibson is a strong corgi. I'm sure he'll be able to fight through it some way some how! Poor Gib!

Ivy@PaperElixir said...

Hope he's feeling better by now! Poor pup (and mommy and daddy too, I'm sure). Bloody diarrhea is always scary... We've had our share of diarrhea to deal with, and I'm sure people think we're crazy when we pick up a piece of his solid poop and admire it like it's the most beautiful thing in the world when his diarrhea subsides... :) Lots of fluid and belly rubs, and I'm sure he'll be back to his old self soon!

Karen and Bailey said...

glad i read your other post before to know that gibson pooped some solids! :D woohoo on that..

yess i can imagine how scary it would be. ARGH happened one time when i gave bailey a pig ear. NEVER AGAIN.

glad gibsons back to normal.. almost! :D i know he will be ok!!!

That corgi :) said...

I read ahead so I know Gibson is feeling better. I think it must be a corgi trait that they have sensitive stomachs (yet love and crave food, makes no sense) but Koda has had his share of colitis and stress colitis episodes. We have gotten so good at spotting them that when we see the symptoms (the color of his business) we immediately go on the bland diet with rice and chicken. With him, his energy doesn't change too much and still has an appetite (that's a corgi for you). But we can usually now figure out what went wrong, a new treat, extra stress, etc. I might have shared this before, but the first vet that diagnosed him with colitis said that dogs carry their stress in their stomachs and cats carry their stress in their lungs. I have to believe she knew what she was talking about.

On another note, aren't those tomato/basil chips the best???

betty

Related Posts with Thumbnails