Friday, May 6, 2011

Cravings

I learned something this morning:  Kitty Poop > Bunnies

Aren't you glad you all learned that fact? ;)   Anyways, I always knew Gibson loved both.  He goes nuts whenever he sees a bunny (fun! chase time!) and he can sniff cat poop a mile away and use his nose like  a metal detector to find/eat it (gross).  Never before has he been faced w/the dilemma of choosing between the two though... until this morning.

To his left, was a tree w/kitty poop buried in the mulch (he already tried to eat it yesterday).  To his right, was a bunny, trying to hide himself in some tall grass.  Gibson first lunged towards the bunny, but quickly remembered the kitty poop on his left, so decided that that was more important.  I knew what he was doing, so I tightened his leash so he couldn't reach the tasty morsel (barf).  So, he went back to trying to chase the bunny.  It was his consolation prize.

I will never understand why dogs love cat poop so much. I mean, it's poop!  But Gibson craves it.  He lives for it!  Nothing can get in his way when he picks up that scent and gots to haves his kitty..   OK, I'm getting gross here.. but I'm trying to segway into how this reminds me of pregnancy cravings ;)

So! Pregnancy cravings!  haha, I finally understand what they are all about.  People asked me in the first trimester (Oh yeah, I'm in the 2nd trimester now, woot woot!) if I had any cravings yet, but it was more like 'this is the only thing that sounds vaguely edible so  I need to eat that'. But, now that I can eat normally, I have experienced a few cravings.

The first was a few weeks ago: Salt & Vinegar chips. I needed them.  I thought subway would have them, so I went there for lunch, but no dice.  I ate a different type of chip, but it did nothing to lessen the craving.  So I then went to 7/11 to find some.. but they were no where to be seen! I was getting so frustrated and almost cried, but then.. there they were.  Right by the register.  And all was right with the world again :)

Then, a few days ago, I was watching the Barefoot Contessa, and she happened to be  making Key Lime Pie for a mexican fiesta dinner.  At that moment, I was going to die if I did not have Key Lime Pie in front of me soon.  It was all I could think about.  I had never made it before, but it looked easy when Ina made it.  So, right after work, I ran to the store and picked up what I needed and a few hours later, this happened:

DSC_2504

And all was right with the world again.  Seriously.  It is insane how worked up you can get about something when you crave it when you are pregnant.  It will be fun to see what other things I crave in the next few months.  Hopefully it's not.. I won't say it.. ok, I will.. kitty poop.  lol (barf)

Now that I've whetted your appetite (sorry!), here's the recipe I used for my heavenly pie:

Key Lime Pie
Adapted from All Recipes

2 cans of sweetened condensed milk  (the little cans.. 8 oz or so? Darn, I should've looked at that...)
4 egg yolks
2 tbsp key lime zest
2/3 cup key lime juice (I got about 1/2 cup of juice from a dozen key limes and then subbed regular lime juice for the rest.. my hands were cramping from all the squeezing ;) )
1 (9") graham cracker crust (or make your own, I was in a hurry)

Mix first 4 ingredients together and then pour into the pie crust.  Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Freeze for an hour and serve (the longer you freeze, the better the consistency)!


Enjoy! Make a pie this weekend :)

9 comments:

Paige and Dexter said...

Dexter is the same way. We have the cat box on a shelf so he doesn't crawl in and indulge on what I have come to call "kitty crunchies" because he's a nasty boy like that. He gets litter caked all over his nose. It's extremely pleasant. (gag)

Aparna E. said...

Looks tasty!! I love Ina!
And Gryff is the same way about bunnies! He likes to chase them. Yesterday we gave him a Frosty Pawz and then we ate some pineapple. Gryff loves Pineapple. Like, LOVES Pineapple. So he looked at us and then kept staring back longingly at his ice cream. I guess he couldn't decide which treat he wanted more ;)

Aparna E. said...

Just wanted to let you know that we received the Omega dog food1 I wrote it about it here :)

http://notaleaf.com/2011/05/06/a-present-for-gryff/

Thanks again!

Laurie said...

Sadie does that too! It's so gross. I read that if they do that, they are lacking something in their diet, but I don't know if that's the case with our corgis? Who knows...it's just nasty lol.

Julie said...

Bwhaha! Theo loves it too. Though what he really went crazy over was sheep poop. Seriously!

Man that pie looks good. Glad all is right in the world again! Hehe. Oh and salt and vinegar chips sound so good too! If I'm this bad with food un-prego, there's really no hope for me. Hehe.

Katie said...

Whiskey does the same thing. We have 3 cats along with her. She will be laying nicely by the front door, and then all of a sudden (and extrememly) quietly sneak to the bathroom that has the kitty box. And if we dont catch her in time her nose and breath *YUCK* smells of kitty litter.

Kat Randall said...

hehe "tasty morsel" gross! Glad your pregnancy is going well! how funny that you wrote about pies, our church is doing a pie bake -off this Sunday, for mother's day, pretty sure there will be some key lime there!

Anonymous said...

Dogs like cat poop because cat food is much higher in protein than dog food. Cats need more meat in their diet. So when they poop some of the indigested protein is still in there and makes it smell yummy to dogs.

Karen and Bailey said...

bailey loves kitty poop.


oh i love key lime pie, i am defintely gonna try and make it! are you having cravings already! lol.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails