Monday, October 18, 2010

Travelin' Man

A few weekends ago, Gibson, Ben and I took a long car trip to the southern tip of our state to go to a family reunion.  It was the longest trip we've ever taken together with Gibson AND we also were staying a night in a hotel with him for the first time, so I was a little worried how the pup would handle it all.  I'm happy to say that he handled it like a champ.  For the most part...

Before the trip, I had purchased Gibson a new little travel bag for our driving adventures (when your families don't live close, you have to take lots of weekend trips.).  I used to just use a big tote bag, but then I about died when I saw this cool bag...

DSC_1249

The Pet Trek On-the-Go Storage Pack!  Loves it!    (Full disclosure: I photoshopped Gibson's photo into the little window as I've been too lazy to print one out of him and put it in there.. hehe)   It is a little backpack, which came in handy while leaving the hotel while holding a dog leash in one hand and luggage in the other.  The pack opens up with 4 compartments inside for you to store and organize your dog's food, dishes, toys and more!  On the outside are two mesh pockets, which is where I keep his leashes (for easy grabbing!). Buy Now!

DSC_1244

It also comes with a fun bone toy on top.  I didn't have high hopes for this toy.. I figured Gibson would either destroy it in 5 minutes or want nothing to do with it.. but he went nuts for it!  It doesn't squeak, but it does poof out air when you squeeze it. For some reason, that little puff of air makes Gibson run around  like a crazy person.  Nice when I want him to get all of his energy out :)

DSC_1154
I dunnos, I loves my squishy bone toy, ma!

After we were all packed up, we hit the road for a lovely 5+ hr drive south.  We stopped halfway for Ben and I to switch off driving and to let Gibson pee.  Gibson was so excited to get out of the car he could hardly contain himself. I hated to tell him we were only halfway...

By the way, he's been sooo good in the car since I put his crate in the back seat.  He just lays in there and doesn't make a peep the whole way! Bliss!

Another 2+ hours later, we were finally to the town that we were headed to.  The first stop was at a taco joint that is one of Ben's faves.  Of course, Gibson wanted to order some too...
DSC_1208
I can has sancho?

The reunion was fun.  It was on the family farm, so Gibson got to run around "like a real live dog" and also play with his cousin Orson, who was also there, all day long.  He behaved wonderfully, but kind of ticked me off when he found some ham scraps that had been tossed in the garden and kept finding them and eating them.  All.  Day.  Long.  More on that later...

When it was time to go, we headed out to our next destination: The hotel!  I was quite excited to see how Gibson would react to sleeping in a hotel.  He was super duper excited.  He wanted to say hi to everyone and was woofing a bunch while we were in the lobby, but overall, he did great :)

DSC_1214
On our way up the elevator!

Up in our room, I showed Gibson his bed and he was quite excited as you can see..
DSC_1215

...but he was also super exhausted.  By about 9pm we both went to bed....  but woke up at 3am!  Remember those ham scraps??  Well eating those caused him quite the tummy issues!  (I hope you don't mind poop talk) At 3, I took him outside and he took the biggest poop I've ever seen, and then another about 5 feet away. I couldn't believe it, but I cleaned it up and we headed back up to go to sleep.   At 6 I woke up again and Gibson was hanging off of the bed, so I took him out and he pooped again.  Big.  I figured he had to be done, but at 7:30 he  pooped again.. and then once again before we left at 8 for good measure ;)    So 5 poops in 5 hours!  Solid.  Could not believe it.

DSC_1218

DSC_1219
Can we gos?  I gots ta poo, ma!

We headed back that morning (bright and early) and relaxed the rest of the day.  Gibson woke me up at 3 am the next few days to go potty (grr) and had some issues pooping, but I'm happy to say that it cleared up in a few days :)

And that's my story of traveling and poop lol.

19 comments:

Andreea said...

so cute :) Love the picture of him on the bed! And I'm glad that the whole family had a good time.
Speaking of poop, I see that Toby is waiting by the door (just like Gibson) so I gotta run :)

Mary said...

Haha - cute!

At least Gibson held it until you were outside. Ginger's first stay in a hotel this summer was not a happy one. She must have eaten something yucky and puked in our room. The next night she peed in the stairwell - poor little girl. I suppose she was rebelling against our cross-country move.

Peanut said...

Wow Gibson is a doo-doo machine!(poor gibby)

Peanut said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peanut said...

Love the bag. I would never let Peanut eat scraps of crap like the ham. He has a fragile stomach so that sucks for him and me. And the worst part is that every time we go some where that is not in our house, he makes the most nastiest liquefied poo.... ews.

Angela said...

Hey Kelly! Gibson's new travel bag is just too cute!

I will have to say when you said he was eating ham scraps I knew what was coming! lol Back before we had kids we had a chihuahua. Spunky went everywhere with us. We took her to my outlaws house on Thanksgiving. They kept sneaking her ham. I kept telling them that they were going to make her sick. "Oh no, a little ham won't hurt her". Well, it did! She woke up in the middle of the night with the squirts! The noise of it scared me to death. We couldn't find the light switch to see what was going on. It was just awful. I think they fed her her body weight in ham. Lesson learned. She didn't get to go over there again during a holiday.

Jenny said...

How adorable! Gibson is setting pooping records, good for him! LOL.

And that bag looks really neat! I'll have to check it out.

Katie said...

That bag is totally AWESOME!! Glad to hear Gibson did good on his road trip. We took a 10+ hour drive and Whikey is crowned the car Queen. Is the bag going on your sky mall shop?

Dozer and Coop said...

LOL! Poops, they rule our blogs!

Nancy

That corgi :) said...

that bag is the absolute cutest!! good for Gibson being such a great traveler! LOL with the ham scraps; he's a corgi, he will keep looking for them no matter what

too funny how we get so caught up with their poop, especially when they are having problems with it

glad you all had fun at the reunion too!

betty

Kelly said...

The bag is available here! :) http://shopopensky.com/corgibutts/buy/pet-trek-on-the-go-gear-pack

Amy said...

Who dosen't want sanchos???

Karen and Bailey said...

so cute!!!! love the bag too, and it mustve been fantastic being able to travel with him! :D

Paige said...

Kelly, the bag you have looks blue but the one in your shop is grey. Where can I get a blue one?

Kelly said...

It actually is gray, Paige :) Maybe a blueish gray.. but mostly gray. There is only one color available :)

Sam and Finley said...

This is soo cute!! I love his little backpack, and especially the one of him with his snout glued under the door :)

Laurie said...

You find the coolest stuff! Love this bag. Also, this cracked me up: "(Full disclosure: I photoshopped Gibson's photo into the little window as I've been too lazy to print one out of him and put it in there.. hehe)" hahaha.

Wow, that's a lot of pooping! HA. Glad he did well on the trip, though!

PICASSO said...

That is such a cool bag, Kelly! I'm definitely going to get one for Picasso. I'm glad to hear that all-in-all, you had a successful trip with Gibson! ...5 poopies in 5 hours???? wow! Glad to hear it all came out okay :)

Juliette said...

Gibson is so good (not his fault about the ham!). Great tail and I just love that bag! I'm in the UK otherwise I would have had to order it and great about the bone not having a squeaker in it. Thanks for sharing.

a dog life jacket saves dogs lives

Related Posts with Thumbnails