Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Brush 'Em, Brush 'Em, Brush 'Em

Gibson has bad breath.   The worst.   There is a reason why we call him Stinky (Stinks, Stinker, Stinky McStinkerson, etc.).  Part of the problem is that he eats every piece of cat, rabbit and squirrel poop that he can find.  The rest is genetics and how often I brush his teeth...

I try to brush his teeth at least once a week.  Sometimes more, sometimes less, but I know how important oral hygiene is.. even for doggies... so I make sure  to do it.  Yes, it can be a tough task for you.  No, it is not a dog's favorite thing in the world.  But you can do it :)  

Gibson actually does not mind teeth brushing time because he LOVES his toothpaste.   I buy him Cain & Able KissAble Toothpaste and matching toothbrush.   It is awesome.  It smells like vanilla frosting and Gibson goes gaga for it! 

DSC_1058

I just squeeze some out onto his doggy toothbrush...

DSC_1057

... and let Gibson go to town on it!

DSC_1096

I hold the brush backwards at first so that he can't lick all the toothpaste off and is forced to chomp on the brush in his mouth...

DSC_1115

... Nom, nom nom... brushing my teeth without realizing it.... Nom nom nom...

DSC_1099

Once the brush is back on his molars, I take action.  I grab his bottom jaw (sorry couldn't take a photo w/no hands), pry his mouth open and scrub away.   I usually do one side at a time (to give him a break) and then repeat, making sure to get the back teeth really well.

Once I am done, I let him go back to licking and chomping away at the brush (making sure he doesn't chomp too hard.  I've had to replace many brushes after he split them in half.. lol... so now he only gets to chomp them lightly).

And that's it!  All done and only took a few painless minutes :)

Well, it used to be it... but now I've added a new weapon to my arsenal...  SpaDog Clean Breath Drops!

DSC_1128

Love it!  Even after I brush Gibson's teeth, he has gnarly breath, so I was looking for something to freshen it up and I found this stuff.   It works great, but Gibson HATES it.  He gets the most disgusted look on his face when I drop a few drops on his tongue.  Not sure why..

It is made from all natural ingredients like, peppermint, lemon, caraway and ginger which is supposed to aid in digestion and prevent bad breath in the first place.  I've tried it myself and it works for me too lol :)  Of course it doesn't keep the bad breath away forever..  so I give him a few drops whenever I get a really bad dog breath smell in my face ;)

So that's it!  Gibson's oral hygiene routine.

Do you brush your dog's teeth?  What products & techniques do you use??

18 comments:

Mary said...

Thanks for the tip! I've been wanting to try a new toothpaste. Ginger looks like the most pathetic little thing when I come at her with her current toothbrush/toothpaste - like she's a little kid being forced to eat creamed spinach!

Karen said...

benny and butters know what toothbrush means....they run and i've even tried having me mom hold them while i attempt....we just end up freaking the dogs out and having scratches all over without getting their brush cleaned

Rachel said...

We actually scrape Amy's teeth as well as brushing once a week (or more if she eats something questionable or poopy). We just have a regular dental scraper and get every smidge of tartar we can reach. Amy's breeder used an oral spray and an electric toothbrush, but we ordered a container of 50 disposable plastic brushes preloaded with chicken toothpaste. Amy loves the toothpaste and has just recently come to terms with the toothbrush itself. We flip her over on her back and hold her between our legs to do her teeth; it's the way she has been trained since birth and she doesn't fight too badly. She just needs frequent breaks from the onslaught to catch her breath and make pouty faces at whoever's grooming her (usually mommy...).

Toothbrush in! Hold muzzle shut! Brush brush brush brush brush!

Laurie said...

You always find the coolest stuff!! I will have to look for these products.

I just use some meat flavored toothpaste haha. Sadie likes it. But she hates when I brush her teeth. I should get a brush like the one you have...I just have one that looks like a normal human toothbrush. This one looks much easier though for using on dogs. I have a finger brush too, which works pretty well.

I really need to get better at brushing her teeth though. I should do it more often.

Those drops look great, too. Sadie has horrible breath. So that would be nice to use haha. I hear giving the dogs fresh parsley is good for their bad breath, too.

Paige said...

What kind of doggy toothbrush did you buy? I've been looking for one for Dexter.

Kelly said...

The one pictured is the Kissable brand toothbrush that comes with the toothpaste, but I've used many different brands as long as they are three sided (makes brushing easier/faster!) :)

Paj said...

As far as the stinky breath goes, try feeding him some yogurt- plain works best because it is low in sugar. My dog doesn't have breath issues, but did have digestive problems when I first got her and a few spoonfuls of yogurt a couple times a week has really helped. Plus it is her favorite treat!

I have a squirmy dog on my hands when the toothbrush comes out, no matter what flavor toothpaste I use.

Kelly said...

He gets yogurt daily! hehe :)

Theresa said...

Chip is a dog breath dream. It does not smell like anything. Katie on the other hand. If you mixed the smell of death and garbage you might be getting close. Pure horror. Thanks for this info. Will def. give it a try. She just eats other toothpastes.

Theresa said...

Oh man - Katie *used* to get Greek yogurt daily until we had a mess in the house for a few days. Ooooops. Who knew that the remnants of plain yogurt in my bowl would be so...um, powerful.

Peanut said...

Nice hygiene overview. Peanut hates brushing teeth. I have to grab his jaw and force it open. He hates having me brushing his teeth so instead of doing it every day, I give him Dentastix. But I do brush his teeth twice a week. At least he likes his toothpaste!

Angela said...

Gibson looks like he likes it though!

I hate to admit this in public but I don't brush my dogs teeth. Never have brushed any of my dogs teeth. They don't seem to have bad breath either. Their teeth are pearly white too. Makes me wonder if there is something that helps them with their teeth in the deer bones they drag in and eat???? Or if it is the difference in the dog food I feed them???? I feed them Natural Balance Original Formula.

Have a Great Day!
Angela

Rachel said...

We use Petrodex Dog Dental Care Kit from Amazon. It comes with Beef Toothpaste and 2 Toothbrushes (long brush and finger brush).

They love the flavor of the toothpaste, but brushing is still a challenge. I'm thinking about getting that brush you showed. I think it may work better than what we have.

Benhur Xobile said...

Hee....I've never gotten my teeth brushed before. Lucky me. =P Unfortunately that means once a month or so, mummy uses a tooth scrapper to clean the plaque off my teeth. (one day...there'll be photos)

And every night before she goes to bed, I get to chomp on a few M&C Breath mint bisuits. That's why I have nice doggy breath...most of the time its tolerable anyway. =)

Laurie said...

Kelly, do you think you'll be adding these items to your opensky shop?

Laurie said...

(Oops, saw the drops are there...but wondering about the toothpaste/brush.)

Amy said...

I do like the three sided brush... Winnie really chomps hard though and kills them fast. I'll have to insist on a lighter touch.

kimmie said...

what's the toothbrush brand you use to brush his teeth?

Related Posts with Thumbnails