Thursday, May 13, 2010

Stormy Night

I shouldn't have complained about the heat in New York. I'd gladly take an 80+ degree day in place of the cold, rainy weather that I came home to. And did I mention the horrible thunderstorms we are having too? It's lovely, let me tell you.

Last night, there was a doozy of a storm that woke us all up. Well, it sort of woke me up, but then I heard Ben telling Gibson that it is ok and to lay down. I looked over and saw Gibson just sitting there, super still and staring at the window. If it was earlier in the evening, he'd be howling and telling that storm to 'leave his house alone!' But he was being polite at 2 in the morning. Thankfully.

He was still concerned though. It was loud! Rain was smashing against the windows and the thunder was shaking the house. So, he sat there, guarding his post (and his people). Meanwhile, Ben (who caught my bad NY cold) was still telling him it's ok and to lay down. I felt bad for them both, so my 'mom instincts' kicked in. I put my arm around Gibson so that he would curl up and cuddle w/me. He layed down w/his head on my arm (so he could still look out the window), but eventually he got so comfortable that he fell asleep.

It was nice cuddling all night w/him in my arms. Usually, he growls at us if we touch him in bed. He's very testy when he's tired... I guess it takes a thunderstorm to turn Gibson into a softy :)

12 comments:

Sam and Finley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam and Finley said...

OOooo we had a big thunder storm last night, too! I am visiting in Virginia and my flight was actually canceled. I guess it is the season for summer thunder storms in this area, yes?

At least you got a cuddly Gibson out of it :) It's so nice when they like being held!!

That corgi :) said...

that sounds like a big storm!! I can just picture Gibson on guard during it; glad he decided to snuggle with you though to help him relax through it

betty

^..^Corgidogmama said...

The corgi kids and I were up from one a.m., to three watching lightening flashes and hearing rolling thunder. Sigh...nobody was sleeping from Indiana to NY apparently!

Karen and Bailey said...

wow thunderstorms this time of year?? is that normal?? but im glad too that gibson didn't resist the cuddling.. wish bbear would cuddle more.

Lori McLean - Ein's mom said...

Poor Gibson. Brave puppy was so brave to protect his family from a terrible storm.

Angela said...

We had our thunderstorms yesterday in the day. The rain was so bad that it came out of the banks and flooded our road. The kids missed school today. It is so humid outside right now that I don't even want to go out there! And they are saying we are going to have a repeat of yesterday tomorrow! The ground is just soaking wet like a sponge.

My outside dog doesn't like storms either. She actually slept in the house on the couch last night! They say dogs can feel it better in their bones or something than we do.

Have a Great Day!
Angela

Laurie said...

Awww poor little guy. He was on full alert! Glad he was able to fall back asleep, and be cuddly while doing so :)

Sugar the Golden Retriever said...

Woof! Woof! I can relate ... we had a stormy night too. Hoping for a peaceful evening. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Bri said...

haha. sammy is the same way! he hates being touched when he is sleeping! he has his bubble. but when he is scared he just comes running to his mommy!
hasn't it been a crazy few days here in the midwest. we are supposed to be sunny tomorrow but then more storms! then it comes your way!

Flo de Sendai said...

ooooh, take care.....I've been 1 time to the US (Iowa)and had a storm, wow, so terrible and scary !
Gibson is cute !

Whosyergurl said...

so far...storms don't seem to bother Chelsea. I'm so glad. A full moon with howling coyotes? She goes into a tizzy.
xo, Cheryl

Related Posts with Thumbnails