Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Homemade Dog Toys

I love homemade dog toys. They cost $0, recycle things I am going to throw in the trash, and Gibson LOVES them.

You've already met Gibson's sock balls. Those come from old hole-y socks that smell like mommy & daddy's feets are are rolled up and stuffed w/squeakers then sewn shut. Pretty easy. Well, I came up w/even easier to create toys: Boxer Balls and Tank Top Balls.

Boxer Ball & Tank Top Ball

On the left is a boxer ball, and to the right is a tank top ball. And, *gasp*, they are made out of old boxers and tank tops!

If I am folding laundry, and noticed a hole or loss of elasticity in one of these items, they immediately get tied in knots and made into a dog toy. I usually just pull and stretch them til they rip, and then tie them into as many knots as I can, then keep at it til they form a ball. If I have more than one, I tie them together.

Gibson has a blast with these, because he can play fetch, shake them, tear them apart, untie them and use them as a tug toy, etc. And I don't mind if he destroys them since they were free and were going to be garbage anyways!

Oh and the elastic band on boxers are so much fun to tug on.. AND they make fantastic neck ties...

Boxer Ball Necklace

Let's face it: Dogs love the thrill of getting a new toy. Making your own is a great way to give them a special treat that won't result in money being thrown away when they ultimately destroy it!! :)

6 comments:

Katie said...

Love it!!!! I've been dying to make the sock ball, because whiskey LOVES squeakers. These boxer balls and tank top balls are great through. I have so many t shirts that she like to sleep on.

Laurie said...

What a great idea!!! Sadie loves going into my laundry, so this is probably perfect haha.

Whosyergurl said...

Because I actually saw a similar toy in a STORE, I cut an old t-shirt into strips and braid them and knot them. Chelea loves it.
hugs, Cheryl

Kate said...

This is a really great idea! Benjamin is in a constant search of a new toy. We made him a basket of toys once but the only thing he did was take each one out of the basket and go hide them! We have toys randomly appearing from time to time now. I am going to try this, i am sure he will love them! Thanks so much!

Karen said...

this is a really great idea!!! butterball goes through his favortie toys fast and i usually have to throw them away or destuff them. i will definitly try this :D thanks for sharing!!


-karen

Ivy@PaperElixir said...

What a great idea! I gotta start making some of these, need to add a "tail" though since Bryson only likes things that resemble a small animal... :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails