Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A day in the life of Gibson

Routines are a big part of a dog's life. They love them and are totally confused when their day goes a little differently than usual. Gibson and I have our weekday (yes, the weekends are a little different, and I'll get to those later..) schedule down pat, so I thought I would share it with you...

As soon as the sun comes in through our windows, Gibson wakes up. He then stares at me until I show any sign of life and then will whine until I get out of bed. If this takes too long he'll walk up on my pillow and breathe 2 inches from my face until I have no choice but to get up.
DSC_9879

I then put him down off the bed (it's a little high, so I have to put him on and off of it) and he goes into his 5 minute routine of stretching and rolling around. He has to get nice and limber and also wipe his face off and blow his nose into the carpet. It's lovely. We then walk down stairs and he starts getting really excited for breakfast. If I am going too slow, he will sprint back and forth to the kitchen until I get there.

Before I feed Gibson, I make him go outside and pee, so that his food is a bit of a 'reward'. I put on his flexi lead and let him out. He pees and then does this little stretch/kicking the grass thing...which I assume is to spread his scent around the yard to scare off other animals..
DSC_9892

Now that that is taken care of, he is ready to go and be fed. Which is devoured in 4.3 seconds flat (Maybe a little longer since we got his slow down bowls :) ).
New "Slow Down" Bowls

While he is eating, I get on my computer and check some email until he decides he is going to poop is pants so we need to go for a walk NOW :)
DSCF2280
I had to poops, ma!

Our walks are pretty routine themselves. I always have to bring 3 charlie bear treats along, and give him 1 as I put his leash on. Once we get back in, I give him the other two while I take his leash off. Just a little reward for cooperating ;) Our morning walks are our 'medium walks'. This is the same exact walk every day that takes about 15 minutes.
DSCF2281

Once we get back in, I'll towel him off if it was damp at all and then I normally eat breakfast and work out while Gibson watches. He gets to lick my dish when I'm done eating which is very exciting for him. When I work out, he either sits and pouts, or tries to play w/me. And let me tell you, it's REALLY fun to have a corgi attached to your pant leg when you're trying to work out ;)

While, I'm showering, Gibson usually sits and looks out the window on guard duty. However, as soon as he hears me put lotion on my legs, he's up stairs ready to lick it all off...

By now, Gibson is ready to take a nice long nap, but not before he gets his Kong filled with goodies (lately it's been frozen chunks of Vital food) that I give him when I leave for work. He gets very impatient w/me at this point and just wants me to leave already so he can eat his Kong and then sleep for the next 4 hours..
DSC_8222

I come home for lunch every day to find Gibson in 'his' chair and verrry sleepy. We have a good cuddle session for a few moments and then he gets down and strettttttttches before I let him out to pee. At this time, he gets a small treat for lunch and then he watches me eat (hoping to get to lick my dish when I'm done). Depending on my mood and the weather, we will go for a 'quick walk' or else I will just let him out again to see if he needs to poop. Then, I leave and he sleeps 4 more hours ;)

Ben comes home from work a little bit earlier than me now, so Gibson is already up and waiting for me to get home. Sometimes, I see him looking out the window waiting for me, and other times, he's already at the door :) We immediately walk out the door and go for our 'long walk' of the day at this time, which I try to make about 20-30 minutes long.

His reward for this walk is dinner, which he expects after every early evening walk no matter what time it is, so I have to time it just right ;) I feed him about a half of a cup twice a day, and he has to sit and be nice before I will pour it into his bowl. New "Slow Down" Bowls


After his dinner, he'll watch me cook (hoping that I'll be messy and drop food on the ground) and then watch us eat (hoping we'll be nice and drop food on the ground), and then he wants to PLAY. I'll play fetch w/him for about 20 minutes or so and if he's not worn out by then, we do stair chases. This is a guaranteed "make Gibson so tired he's done playing for the night" game, and it's good exercise for me too. Basically, we run as fast as we can up the stairs, run to my room, jump on the bed, then run back down the stairs....about 3 or 4 times. It's really tiring!!
DSC_9876

After that, Gibson will look out the window (if it is nice out, he'll sit in the screened in porch) or chew an antler until he is ready for bed (he is also let out to pee one more time). And since he is a little prince, he is carried from wherever he is sleeping to our bed, where he sleeps until the routine begins again ;)
DSC_9883

9 comments:

ClassyChassy said...

What a life, eh? Our corgis like us to be messy cooks too - they're always hoping for a little something to hit the floor - and you know the 3 second rule? That don't happen at our place! The food's gone in only ONE second!

Karen and Bailey said...

ehhehe that is so cute! :) Bailey likes to lick water off my legs, also whines if he wants me to get up (only if he isn't in the crate, and, he loves to stretch in the mornings. Bailey also gets frozen kongs while i am at work. Recently I've done a mix of sweet potatoes and natural balance rolls. Sometimes i add some chicken baby food, or banana, or yogurt... or whatever i have around!

Not all routines are happy moments. He knows when i go to rummage in the bathroom that its usually for the hair dryer so he stops whatever hes doing to bark, and the routine of opening up the back porch door is becoming an issue, he barks like CRAZY to scare away stray cats in the morning. Those routines I do not look forward to!!!!

Laurie said...

Hahaha Sadie and Gibson are very much alike in their silly little behaviors. I love it! These doggies love their routines. I swear Sadie knows when it's the weekend, too. And if I'm not home both days on the weekend, she gets all out of whack! Also, I love that you captured a picture of Gibson doing the little kick thing after he pees. Sadie does this too but I haven't been able to get a picture!!! You have to try to capture Gibson's stretching too haha. I bet that is cute :)

Pirulo Furry said...

What a dog's life!

Kris Klinkhammer said...

Brodie does the "toro toro" kicking too. Cracks me up, because he is barking and toro torroing looking like a goofball. Corgis in general are just clowns.

Bri said...

Haha. He has such a wonderful life. They just don't like to change their schedules a bit though! I love the sleepy stretchy part! I love watching Sammy doing his stretches! I don't know if Gibson does it, but he lays flat and rolls all the way forward dragging his legs behind him! But Sammy is far from a morning dog. Which is great 'cause I am far from a morning person! I love your cuddle session during lunch! It would be too hard to leave!

That corgi :) said...

I enjoyed reading about Gibson's day. It is a busy one for sure! (wouldn't you love taking two 4-hour naps??)

but you are right, they do like their routines and get rattled if you mix them up.

betty

Bailey's Adventures said...

nice routine...I hate that Bailey's life is nowhere near this structured...I need to be working on a more predictable week for Bails...but it is hard...
Gibson surely is living the life :-)

Deb said...

I have a corgi mix named Ozzy. I about choked per the staring at you to wake you up lol cause Ozzie does that!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails