Thursday, March 11, 2010

Don't you have an off button?

A few nights ago, I let Gibson out for his nightly potty. Rainy season has arrived, so I try to limit his times going out since it is disgusting outside. So, I let him out, and he immediately scurries over to the side of the house (where I can't see him from the door). I only have slippers on so, I daintily tip toe over to keep an eye on him, but it was too late. He was already running to the front yard. Normally, I would run after him in my slippers, but w/the mud.. not such a good idea. So, I ran in the house, grabbed my snow boots and ran out the front to find him. Luckily, he was right there in front, saying hi to his bff, Bingo, the dog who roams our neighborhood off-leash. Luckily, Bingo is a good listener, so I just told her to stay and she did so I could come over and grab my not-so-good listener of a dog. As I was walking back to the house, corgi-in-arms, Gibson heard Bingo's tags jingling and started HOWLING. HOWLING. Like, seriously. Like, he totally forgot that he was just saying hi to this jingling tagged friend of his and was now protecting us from whatever devilish fiend was going to come and kill his family.

And this howling lasted.... 2 HOURS.

2. Maybe longer.

He would not stop. He has howled before, but never like this. He sounded like a basset hound. He was protecting us. Only we did not want protecting. We wanted to watch 24.

We tried everything to get him to stop. Ignoring him. Telling him NO. Distracting him w/food. Putting him in his crate until he stopped. Taking him outside to investigate the yard and see that nothing was there. Telling him it's ok and petting him softly. NOTHING WORKED! It's like he was possessed.

When we finally went to bed, he was exhausted, but there was still a faint 'woof' coming from him until he fell asleep. He is quite the determined kid.


So, because of this, I've decided that we 1.) need to fence in our little yard asap. and 2.) that I needed to buy the longest flexi lead I could find and never let him out to potty without it until we got a fence. I know that this running off thing only happens once in a blue moon, but it is so frightening... So, I found a 23ft long lead on eBay that should be here soon. He is such a good boy most of the time, but those damn bunnies and neighborhood dogs aren't going away anytime soon....

8 comments:

Laurie said...

Sadie doesn't listen very well either. We don't have our yard fenced in, so I always keep her on the leash. One time she got away and went after a big dog. That freaked me out. It sounds like keeping Gibson on a leash is the best option right now. I wish I had some advice on the howling though!!! That would stress me out.

JuLo said...

Oh my goodness! What a stinker! I know exactly what you mean about the howling! That is their protective bark. It's unmistakable. Theo will sometimes get in that mood, but never anywhere near 2 hours, more like 5 minutes, and he can be distracted to the point of lazy woofs instead of full howling. 2 hours! Wow!

That's so strange. I wonder what had him in such a tizzy...

JuLo said...

Oh, and I know what you mean about trusting him off leash. Theo is a perfect gentleman 99% of the time, but that other 1% he'll take off and run in a neighbor's house, or something equally uncool. *sigh* They ruin it for themselves, don't they?

That corgi :) said...

oh my gosh! I can't imagine Gibson howling for 2 hours! its like having a colicky baby and not knowing what to do for them. It would panic me to not have a fence entirely for the whole backyard because Koda would bolt if given the chance. Every time he goes out to take care of business, I always check to make sure the gate is closed. What is it with those bunnies that they love so much?? (besides their droppings)

betty

^..^Corgidogmama said...

oh man...exhausting night for all of you! Hang in there...little buggers are work, but sure worth the trouble...cuteness excuses many sins!

Kelly said...

I wish you had a video of it! Pooka never has made a howling sound and I think it would be cute. On the other hand, I don't think I would like 2 hours of it!

At our house, we have pennies in a Dr. Pepper can labeled "Bad Dog" that we shake if she won't stop barking. Maybe try that? Its very scary to pups.

Katie said...

Oh silly corgis. Whiskey has never tired the howling, but the barking doesnt seem to have an off button, espeically when someone is taking their dog for a walk. As for running off, its like your heart jumps into your throat. Whiskey is usually pretty good, when someone (usually a friend) is at the door, she will run to them, then run back inside... until one time she noticed something more intriuging: a little girl on a bike...across the street.
Dogs will be dogs, especially corgis.
ps. love the picture of Gibson's butt, I love all the fluff.

Jules said...

Oh the woofing and the running away! I feel your fear/pain haha. It's so hard to stop them! I'm so sorry this happened :(

We call Roxi the "vibrator" because she stops barking but will grr really low forever afterwords. Charlie has to be on a loooong lead in the front yard since we can't trust him not to run off either. I'm happy you got one. They're also great from call back training :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails