Friday, March 5, 2010

Car Shakes Update

Well, last weekend Gibson and I made the 1.5 hour trip to my parents. I moved his car seat up the the passenger seat next to me to see how it would go. I had to carry him from inside the house to get him to go in the car, but he got in there. I tried to be as calm and soothing as possible...

The trip there went ok. He was still kind of shakey and had googley eyes, but he would lay down for periods at a time. A lot of times I would look over and think he was doing ok, but then I'd see that he was still shaking. At one point, a pebble came off a semi in front of us and hit the windshield and Gibson tried to jump out of the seat. I firmly told him no and that was the end of that. As far as a 'driving w/Gibson' experience goes, this trip was better than normal (no puppies in mommy's lap) but not as good as they were in the past (when he'd just go to sleep and relax).

Going home went much much better. I actually put a cardboard box underneath the seat to give it more support (Gibson's probably pushing the 'up to 25lbs' limit on the seat) and I think it did the trick! He seemed so much calmer and only shook for the first 5 minutes or so of the trip. He then would either look out the window or sleep! I know that being exhausted from 2 days of running his butt off played into this a little bit, but still! I'm hoping that this is a sign of things to come and MAYBE he'll associate the car w/good rather than bad....

5 comments:

That corgi :) said...

poor Gibson. Its amazing how one corgi is not fond of car rides and another one (Koda) lives to hear those words. Seems like you made a bit of progress though with some of the ride. Maybe it would help if you took him on small rides every so often?

enjoy the weekend

betty

Laurie said...

Awww poor Gibson. Certain things can really trigger their memories. It sounds like you are making progress though. I hope he does better in the car again soon!

Katie said...

It sounds like the cardboard box is the trick. Why is it the cheapest and simpliest solution is alway the one they like. Thanks for the "paw" trick help, I'm defintely going to try that! :-) Good luck with more car rides to come.

Whosyergurl said...

aw. poor little Gibby. do you ever give him a familiar blanket or towel or a chew bone to distract him?
Chelsea just licks my window and leaves her mark- lots of x marks. Guess she is signing with a kiss!
Hoosier hugs,
Cheryl in IN

DIRR said...

Yay! Gibson it's doing better. Hopefully, the car seat was the solution. I bought it also for Nala and Cosmo. Cosmo is more than pleased. Nala still whines and moves around, but not as much as without it. Hopefully she will also learn to love the car rides. As for me, I feel much better with the booster seats, is a much more peaceful car ride. Thanks sharing the idea.

Related Posts with Thumbnails