Thursday, February 11, 2010

Gentle Leader Hack

Gibson walks pretty well on a leash. When he's in the right mood at least...

For the most part, he'll either trot by my side or up in front of me at the same pace as I am going. If he's not in the walking mood, he'll drag behind me or be off sniffing for gold on the parkway. And then there's the times when he's reallly excited and wants to run until he reaches his favorite spots (i.e. the places where he knows people throw bread out for the birds. Ugh. Seriously, can you please not throw bread on or near the sidewalk area!?). Sometimes, I'll run with him (just to give him excercise), but most of the time when he's this excited, my arm nearly gets ripped off.

I've always kind of dealt with this, and have just tightened the lead when he reaches these bread buffet lines so he can only get a nibble or two. And while a gentle leader may control pulling, it never really crossed my mind to buy one to stop his behavior. Especially now, since I discovered this cost-free alternative...

THE HACK
APPARENTLY if I put Gibson's leash under one of his front legs, he won't pull. AT ALL. I used to always stop and fix his leash when this happened, but yesterday I was too lazy to AND IT WAS AMAZING! No pulling. Even when we were fast approaching his favorite spots!

Of course, I'm not suggesting that this will work for everyone.. but it seems to make sense why it would. Instead of the leash pulling his head back (making him pull harder), it pulls it down (his martingale collar might help too). It isn't perfect, since the leash can easily come out from underneath his leg, but it's a nice quick fix!

Note: I'm really not serious about this.. haha. It happened, was funny, but I am not going to go around putting Gibson's leash under his leg every day that he pulls on his leash ;)

8 comments:

corgimas said...

a Martingale halter for a horse forces the horses head to be pulled downwards and that would stop the horse from pulling/walking etc.....

short dogs do not get any motion like that from these devices since they are so short....even with a gentle leader it is not going to work like it could on a taller dog....you almost end up twisting the dogs head/neck upwards.....

i used to use http://www.smartpakcanine.com/ProductClass.aspx?ProductClassid=4034 on my corgi....it worked great.....the pull from the leash goes under the shoulders to the bottom of the collar...and pulls the head down a tiny bit but also closes the shoulder girdle so that the pupster cannot pull forward on you....

just one more pup option......

JuLo said...

Haha! That's awesome! Very smart hack indeed. :) It wouldn't work with Theo because I've kind of accidentally trained him so whenever he gets caught up in the leash he stops and lifts his paw so I can unstick it. He won't walk with it tangled in him. But I've also trained him to heel, so while he loves to lunge forwards sometimes, he will stop and walk nicely when I ask him to. Boy did THAT take a long time to train. lol.

Kelly said...

corgimas - Thanks for the advice :) That product looks pretty interesting.. Does it just attach to your dog's collar it already has?

JuLo - Haha, yeah Gibson normally stops when his leash gets tangled too, but not when he's on a mission! He's unstoppable lol. He learned 'heel' too, but I slacked on training so he kind of forgot what it means...

Jenna Z said...

Ugh! I'm glad you didn't give in to the Gentle Leader faction. They are the bane of my dog training existence! Inevitably someone shows up to class with one and insists that the "pet experts" at Petsmart said it was the best product on the planet. Uck! I'm glad you found an alternative but also just a few minutes a day teaching an attention command would fix the problem as well. With less chafing! :)

corgimas said...

The No-pull-harness has its own collar that has two small d-rings on the chest and one big ring on the nape of the neck...
very easy to put on.....
i am a fan of the strong training....but that does take time!!!! (especially when your fiancee is not of the same mindset and wants the pupster to break its rules!!!!)

That corgi :) said...

I had to laugh with the bread, I could see Koda doing the same thing

Koda just stops if his leash gets under his paw and just looks at me for me to fix it

and I love hyour "sniffing for gold on the parkway" remark; Koda does the same thing, especially after the recent rain we had

betty

Laurie said...

Hahaha well whatever works, right??

When that happens, she just stops walking completely. She doesn't know what to do haha.

I need to get one of those martingale collars though...cause she pulls right out of the regular ones.

Mom said...

I don't think the first person understands what the martingale collar is. Because it is totally different than a martingale for a horse.

Related Posts with Thumbnails