Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Q & A from the Blogiversary.. Your questions answered!

What are your nicknames for Gibson?
There are millions. MILLIONS I tell you! :) I will list what I can think of..
Gibby, Gibbers, Fatty, Fats, Fatty Magoo, Fatty McFatterson, Stinky, Stinks, Stinker McStinkerson, McStinks, Stink Head, Stink Butt, Fluff Head, Funny, Silly, Silly Butt, Bubs, Bud, Buddy, Bubby, Bubbers, Buppy (A cross between bubby & puppy), Jerk Face, Jerkson (coined by my sister), and many other derogatory names :)

DSC_8606

What is Gibson's favorite food?
Well, for a meal Wellness Core is is FAVE food he's had.
For treats... CHEESE! and PEANUTBUTTER! and every once in a blue moon he'll get a little crumb of BACON! and he'll get this goofy look on his face:

DSC_7465


What is Gibson's one claim to fame?
This blog? :)



My fav thing about your blog was the calendar contest. Will you be doing it next year?
Definitely!! Start taking photos everyone :)

Now I have a question for everyone about this... Did you like the way I handled it? Would you change anything about the process?


When can you tell you've over-kneaded bread?
In my experience, it's hard to over-knead bread by hand. It takes about 10 minutes if you do it right. If it starts to feel sticky, that means that it isn't ready yet and to add more flour. When I first learned how to make bread, my bread was always sticky after I added all the flour that the recipe called for, so I wondered what I was doing wrong. My cooking teacher told me that it is ok to add more flour until the dough is firm, but elastic. Also, you can tell that it is done, by rolling it out.. if it shrinks right away you should knead it longer. When I roll out my dough to make a loaf, I make sure that it stays the shape that I want it to be (with maybe a tiny bit of shrinkage). Hope that helps :)


On the subject of bread, here's my second favorite recipe (it's actually my favorite when it comes to taste, but because it's so good I eat almost an entire loaf the first day I bake it.. So, it doesn't go as far as the whole wheat bread):

Buttermilk Bread
6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (also works great w/ half white & half wheat flour)
3 tablespoons sugar
2 envelopes FLEISCHMANN'S RapidRise Yeast
2-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk (or substitute a cup of regular milk w/1 tablespoon of vinegar mixed in)
1 cup water
1/3 cup butter or margarine, cut into pieces
(I sometimes also sprinkle in some garlic & oregano to make a yummy italian bread)

Directions

In large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, salt, and baking soda. Heat buttermilk, water, and butter until very warm (120° to 130°F); butter does not need to melt. (Mixture will appear curdled.) Stir into flour mixture. Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover; let rest on floured surface 10 minutes.

Divide dough in half. Roll each half to 12 x 7-inch rectangle. Beginning at short end of each, roll up tightly as for jelly roll. Pinch seams and ends to seal. Place, seam sides down, in 2 greased 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-inch loaf pans. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 to 45 minutes.

Bake at 375°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until done. Remove from pans; let cool on wire racks.



Nutritional Information:
Per serving
Serving Size: one slice (1/24 of recipe)
Calories: 154; Total Fat: 3 g; Saturated Fat: 2 g;
Cholesterol: 7 mg; Sodium: 293 mg; Carbohydrates: 27 g;
Dietary Fiber: 1 g; Protein: 4 g


6 comments:

Two Country Poodles said...

Furry Cool! Thanks for sharing.


Wags and Licks,
Mollie Jo and Bobo

That corgi :) said...

love all the names for Gibson! I'm sure if there's food involves, he comes running for no matter what he gets called

Thanks for the review about Wellness Core. We got some last weekend and are in the process of switching Koda over to it. I notice it takes him a bit longer to eat (before he was on the small nibble size of Science Diet). I also got some of the Wellness turkey jerky treats for Koda too.

I'm glad to hear you are planning to do the corgi calendar next year. I think you did a great job on how you handled it this year. I'll promote it like I did this time, but probably won't submit any pictures of Koda since his blog isn't exclusively just his blog and I talk about so many other things there plus I don't take the best of pictures.

that bread sounds delicious:)

betty

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Whhhaaattt....no "bubble butt?"

JuLo said...

Haha! I have millions of nicknames for Theo too. Including stink butt! I also combine goofball and doofus into goofus. ;p

Theo loves cheese and peanut butter too. He'll come running from miles away for either one. And I know that googley look well! He is too cute!

I really like the way you handled the calendar. What's not to like? We got to submit whatever we wanted. We had a TON of time to submit (and I still was almost late, how lame am I?). And you turned around decision on the pictures super quick. And the calendar is affordable and wonderful! Great job!

Thanks for the tip! I feel like I'm just constantly kneading in flour, and that it gets tough over time rather than elastic, but maybe my hands get too hot or something. I'll try more flour next time! And that's a great tip about the shrinking. That means my cinnamon rolls a few weeks ago were under kneaded. Hehe. That bread sounds amazing. Yum!

Freya's Human said...

So many nicknames! I need to see if anyone sells Wellness within a 25 mile radius. I wish we had a Petco...:(.

Anyway, I guess I need to get a new camera since mine crapped out on me so I can get a pic on that calendar of yours next year!

ClassyChassy said...

Kelly, you did a great job on the calendar - warning us when it was about time to turn in pictures, making your decisions in record time, and letting us know personally, who had been chosen. It was wonderful that you did not just choose blogs that were only written by the Corgis - you let us enter if we featured our dogs from time to time. Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails