Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Operation Slim Down Gibson

Operation Slim Down Gibson has been in effect for about 3 weeks now, and I am really seeing results! He has a clearly defined waist now, but still looks like a healthy corgi :)

Losing weight!

Starting Weight: 27.3
Goal Weight (what vet wants him to weigh): 25
Current Weight: Not sure, but my scale said 27 last weekend

Here are the changes that I've made to his diet & exercise:


DIET

Old food:
Wellness Super5Mix Lamb & Salmon
Protein (min.) 22.0%, Fat (min.) 12.0%, Fiber (max.) 3.0%
First 5 ingredients: Lamb, Menhaden Fish Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice
Amount per day: 1.25 cups + lots of treats

New Food:
Wellness Core Reduced Fat
Protein (min.) 33.0%, Fat (min.) 9.0%, Fat (max.) 10%, Fiber (max.) 8.5%
First 5 Ingredients: Deboned Turkey, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Potatoes, Dried Ground Potatoes
Amount per day: 0.9 cups +minimal treats


EXERCISE

Previous Routine:
4 walks a day
1.75 mi total
.5 hr of fetch/chase in the house
(more exercise on weekends)

New Routine
3 walks a day (speed walking)
1 run a day
2+ mi total
.5 hr of fetch/chase in the house
(more exercise on weekends)



So, there's Gibson's weight loss plan (uh, and my own haha). Not that drastic of a change, but it is working! And yeah, we are running now! Every night after dinner. It is nice. I used to be a runner in highschool, but just stopped after that. Tried again when I was getting in shape for our wedding, but it was just so boring on a treadmill. Running w/Gibson keeps it interesting, and kills two birds w/1 stone (he gets excercise, I get excercise, yay!). I hope to keep up w/it for both of our sakes :)

15 comments:

Freya's Human said...

Good luck! I'm embarking on my own fat camp for my mom's dog--and hoping it will help me too.

I want to tr Wellness but the one store that carries any of the good stuff doesn't carry it:(. They do have Canidae--any thoughts on that?

Kelly said...

My friend feeds her dog grain free Canidae and is really happy with it! When I first got Gibson, I fed him the ALS version of Canidae, and he refused to eat it... so I'm not sure.. I know that it is a pretty good food though!

Mary said...

Gibson looks really good. What was his weight at the start of the diet vs. now? Does he like vegtables? My corgi gets baby carrots and sugar snap peas as treats. Congratulations on your hard work!

Kelly said...

Oh yeah, I should've posted that... :) He started out at 27.3, and I'm not sure what he is now (I don't trust our home scale). He gets baby carrots as treats when I'm making salads and loves them :)

Dozer and Coop said...

All good ideas. Not sure we can take Dozer for walks or runs quite yet but we are on the reduced diet too!

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Be sure to check in with your vet often to make sure he is losing weight at a healthy rate. A change of 2-3 pounds for a Corgi is a significant loss that should happen gradually. Good luck!

Laurie said...

Great plan! Glad to hear it's working, too. The vet wants Sadie to slim down to 25 lbs, too. Last weigh in she was 28...She's eating the same food as Gibson, and getting more exercise than usual, so I hope to see some results too. Good luck! Strangers on the street tell me Sadie is fat!!!

Mary said...

I have noticed that people who comment on a dog's extra pounds often could afford to lose a few themselves...
Our Woody was over-weight and I once overheard a woman say "that's the fattest corgi I've ever seen" as my husband and Woody walked towards me. We were at Yellowstone and it ruined my day. I would get so mad at myself because of his weight. I knew nothing went in his mouth that I didn't give him, and yet, I couldn't deny him either. I swore things would be different with Joey, and he's now 7 months old and has veggies for treats and no people food ever.

That corgi :) said...

can I send Koda to your boot camp, Kelly? you are doing great with Gibson!!! that's neat that you guys are running too! such good exercise for both of you!!

my problem is Koda's eyes......I'm making changes, but I still got a long way to go; we got the exercise down (two long walks) and switched to Wellness Core but its those darn treats during the day that does him (and me in)

keep up the good work!

betty

JuLo said...

Wow, you really have gone all out. Gibson is looking amazing! Look at that svelte figure! ;)

So is that mileage the total or for each walk? If you're walking/running him 6-8 miles a day, that is insane!

Kelly said...

haha, noooo.. each walk is about half a mile, and um, the first time we ran, I could only go a block lol

ClassyChassy said...

I got a sample package of low cal dog treats in the mail - the pouch has a corgi photo on it - must be made for the breed, huh? Good luck with your corgi boot camp!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

He looks great...you'll have to add your own stats to the next post, he hee!

Kelly said...

haha, no thank you ;)

Stella The Fluff said...

Wow, I'm impressed! Gibson looks great, he really does. So congrats to the both of you. Say, I noted the new food you have him on, and thought of your post about Gibson licking his paw. Since his new food is reduced in fat, he may have dry skin, which could lead to some licking if his skin feels itchy. There are fish oil capsules you can get to supplement is food with, or what a friend of mine does is add a teaspoon of olive oil to her dog's food at each feeding. It provides a shiny, healthy coat and less dry skin. Just thought I'd mention it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails