Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Switch

Well, 'Operation Slim Down Gibson' is underway due to vet's orders. Luckily, he's not THAT overweight, but I'd still like to get him to drop a few :) I've minimized treats, upped exercise and am making the switch to Wellness Core (Reduced Fat of course).


What made me choose this food? Lots of reasons! Now, I am no expert (if you want real dog food expert advice, please visit dogfoodanalyis.com! It is amazing), but I have researched and researched dog food (especially when I first got Gibson), and I know these 2 main rules:

1. No by-products!
2. No corn!

Once you get past those two things, you know you have a somewhat decent food, but it still may not be an AWESOME Healthy food for your dog. There are still a lot of other factors to consider, such as:

1. Convenience
Number 1 most important rule in my eyes is that the food should be the healthiest food that is convenient for you and is in your budget. Don't choose a dog food that you can only buy at a boutique pet store that is 30 minutes away, or one that is too expensive for you.

2. Amount of Meat
The first few ingredients should be a named meat source, such as: Deboned Turkey, Lamb, Salmon, etc. Meals are also acceptable (Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, etc) since 'whole ingredients' contain up to 80% water and 'meals' do not.

3. Amount of Grains & Fillers
The less grains and fillers, the better. Grains are not part of a dog's natural diet and a lot of dogs have grain allergies. It is better to have carbohydrates such as sweet potatoes along w/the primary meat and vegetable ingredients.

4. Dog's Health
It meets your dog's health requirements. Some dogs are allergic to specific ingredients or *ahem* need to loose weight, and there are tons of different types of food to fit those needs.


With all of that in mind, these 3 main reason is why I chose Reduced Fat Wellness Core:

1. They sell it at Petco, which is where I buy all my pet supplies. Plus, even though it is more expensive than his previous food, he'll need less of it since there is so much protein and fiber. (the fact that he's a "small" dog, helps too)

2. These are the first 4 ingredients: Deboned Turkey, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Potatoes. I love that I can read the ingredients and not get grossed out at all.

3. It is grain free! Which means less poopies and a healthier pup!

4. I researched "Weight Management" and "Reduced Fat" dog foods, and most not only reduced the fat in their food, but also greatly reduced the amount of protein and fiber. Less protein and fiber means a hungrier dog, which means guilty corgi owners will feed more, which means they'll probably get the same amount of fat in their diet anyways! The Reduced Fat Wellness Core has way more protein and fiber than his old food and less fat too, which, to me, should add up to a weight loss, rather than gain.


So, there you go. My reasons for switching dog foods. I am currently on day 4 of the transition, so it's about half Super5Mix and half Core. By the end of the week we should be 100% Core.

Gibson's verdict? "Nom!!" He lovvvves it. He used to get excited for meal time, but now he can hardly contain himself! Plus, I'm already seeing the benefits.. Less poop AND less begging!

I'll keep everyone updated on his progress!

As I said before, I am no dog food expert (and of course there are many other diets BESIDES kibble, but that's a whole story!), so if you are interested in learning more, please visit dogfoodanalysis.com. Click on "reviews" and find your current dog food. It will change the way you think about how you feed your dog.


6 comments:

Laurie said...

Sadie LOVES this food too. I notice she eats it all in one sitting, rather than picking at it like she used to with the regular Wellness weight management food. She just seems to really like the taste much better. And even the wet food version smells like REAL food, which is nice. However, I have not been so lucky with less poops!!! Sometimes I am amazed at how much Sadie poops haha. For such a small dog, it's insane! But I hope Gibson enjoys this food as much as Sadie!

Laura, Lance, and Vito said...

Wellness Core is great food! I actually like the website
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

it doesn't rank food since it's so hard to compare the top foods but go to the label info 101 and read all about how to really understand what the ingredients are telling you.

Corgii said...

While I've always been of the opinion that corgis always need a little bit of fat to maintain the optimal level of adorableness, it IS in the dog's best interest to keep it a healthy weight (I GUESS... *looks away*)

This is awesome information, though! I'm learning lots of good things for when I finally buy my own little oblong ball of fluff :)

Freya's Human said...

I went to my first Petco last Monday and wow I'm jealous of those who can go there regularly! I was out with my mom and her friend taking them Asian food shopping so they can stock up their reserves. I decided I wanted to go in--I love their snack bar! They were so nice and the best part (and worst) was the realization that they have quality food that Cloud can eat (He's allergic to a lot of things--at Petsmart he has a choice of 3 brands and one isn't that great.) At Petco, he has over 3 that he can eat and for the same price or less--man I wish we lived closer to a Petco. To be uniformed about it--we just make both dogs eat the same foods (Blue Buffalo) so we don't have to worry about any cross contamination.

I'm glad the pup likes the food so much. :D

Freya's Human said...

The closest Petco is about 3 hours away. If and When we move to Arizona, there will be one in our area that I can go to.

I was really impressed by their food selection--I wish we had one closer now so I can switch the dogs to Wellness or Motherhubbard or something of that nature.

JuLo said...

I love that website too. Too bad they only compare regular wet and dry foods. I would have liked their analysis on the food I just switched Theo to. Though I already know it has whole ingredients, so it would rate high based on that criteria alone.

I go back and forth on the carb/no carb issue. I don't think dogs are wolves, so we don't need to feed them like they are. Plus, wolves are/were scavengers, so they would have eaten whatever they could that was available. But that's high quality food either way, so it obviously isn't going to hurt him.

Sounds like Gibson is well on his way to becoming a svelter him!

Related Posts with Thumbnails