Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Doofus

One of the first corgis I ever saw in person was this adorable tri-color puppy at a car show in our town. It had to be only 10 weeks old, but it was barking it's head off at everything! I had heard that corgis were loud mouths, but I couldn't believe this little thing! So, when we first got Gibson, we marveled at how quiet he was. He didn't make a peep for months! People told me that he must not be a real corgi if he is that quiet. Well, then he realized his corgi job and became security manager for our house, soo he HAD to start barking. But, it wasn't a real bark, it sounded more like a chicken clucking. This was fine with us. Ahh.. our dog isn't annoying, how lovely...

Eventually, the loud bark showed up, of course. Now, he will howl if I ask him where daddy is, or if the doorbell rings on tv. He growls and barks when we play fetch w/my parent's dog, and was an annoying "monkey in the middle", running back and forth and barking when my family was playing 'bags' at the latest get-together (it's like I have that obnoxious kid in the supermarket!). His favorite though, is to bark at animals (the serious intruders of our yard.. and everyone else's yard...). It started off with squirrels..and then he discovered bunnies (ooo bunnies!) and now he's found cats to be his arch-nemesis, as well as this little white dog down the street that has been barking at him since he was little. He gets seriously vicious! It's like a snarl and the loudest yap of a bark ever while he shimmies from side to side. Afterwards, he looks at me and smiles as if to say, "That was fun, mom!" and then he walks with his head held high like a little badass. I really don't know where this came from, but it has been crazy lately!

Which brings me to the reason to the title of this post... Last night, I took Gibson on a longer walk since the weather was so beautiful. Well, we get to this one really nice house and I was admiring their landscaping while Gibson was sniffing a tree. When I went to keep walking, Gibson pulled back and started growling. I looked down and saw that he was standing really still and growling and looking at something. Well, then he started his barking/snarling routine, but I still didn't see anything that he was directing this at. I looked around the tree and finally saw what he saw.... and it was this....




A ceramic freakin' bunny. Funniest thing ever, seriously. I snorted the rest of the walk home lol. I really need to start carrying my video camera w/me at all times!

9 comments:

JulieandCaleb said...

Hahahahaha! That's awesome!

Lynn said...

that is HILARIOUS. Does he remember it and bark at it everytime?

Esther said...

LOL, that's too awesome! Winnie does the same thing. Once she growled at a plastic snowman that was on someone's front lawn.

I totally know what you mean about "finding your bark". I thought Winnie was just the quietest thing ever, and then BAM, she found her voice. It's a loud one at that!

The ceramic bunny story is hilarious, he should meet Wally :)

a corgi said...

I can sooooo relate!!! too cute with the bunny; Koda has done the same thing too with leaves, tree branches, you name it

and we have that same bark here, LOL, with the same creatures; they are tooo funny!

enjoy the day

betty

Angela said...

That is funny :}

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Cute, cute corgi story.
They are all so similar, I swear! Our female barks her head off everytime our cell phones ring, then growls during the conversation. Very strange....but she's a corgi, and it's to be expected. Our male is very, very quiet all the time. Once in a blue moon we'll hear a whhhooooffff come out.

kerby said...

That's funny! Lucy was uber freaked out when my dad bought a giant flamingo mylar balloon for my sisters bday. She watched it like a hawk till the baloon finally deflated to an apparent non+threatening status.

ClassyChassy said...

What a funny little story! And an amazing dog you have there!

Freya's Human said...

Freya is a mad barker...unfortunately, she learned early on. I think I can blame her big brother Cloud for that one too. Oddly, she doesn't seem to grasp how to howl and will do a very pained sounding howl/bark that makes me hurt! You are quite lucky that Gibson didn't get too talkative right away. They bark for sport according to one Corgi book I was reading.

Related Posts with Thumbnails