Thursday, August 6, 2009

Corgi Crazy

Maybe it's just because I own a corgi, but it seems like corgi owners are a little different than owners of other breeds. There seems to be more of a camaraderie between owners and excitement for all things corgi. It's almost like you get initiated in some secret club that you never knew existed the moment a short legged little fur-friend enters your life. Any corgi owner you meet becomes your new best friend. I must admit, it's pretty a nice club to be apart of.

I've mentioned before that I get stopped a lot by people who love corgis or own corgis in town...but in the three years I've lived here, I've never actually seen one (besides one teeny tiny puppy at the car show last year). Well, suddenly, I've seen 5 in a week!

It started at the vet last week... As soon as I walk in the door, I see another corgi, going into it's appointment. Both it's owner and I squealed, "corgi!" at the same time, say hi and then the corgi was gone. A quick encounter, but exciting nonetheless..

Last night was the big whopper of a sighting though. I had JUST gotten in from a walk w/Gibson and sat down in our screened in porch when I heared the sound of dog tags coming. I peeked around the bush in our front lawn and saw a red & white face..then another..and to top it off a tricolor too! Three adorable corgis walking right past us! Everyone squealed Corgi! again (Gibson was sitting w/me too), said, 'Awww so cute!', then of course 'hi'. I was so mad that I didn't have Gibson's leash right next to me, cause I probably would've run out w/him to greet everyone. I've heard about this multiple corgi family from others in town, but this was my first sight of them. Hopefully, I'll see them again and be prepared next time!

Then, this morning, I was walking Gibson, and as soon as we turned a corner, I saw an adorable black & white cardigan coming my way! (I suppose there was a man, his kid and another breed of dog too, but the corgi was all I really cared about haha) Again, "corgi!!" and finally a face to face meeting with one! I had a little corgi convo w/the owner, let the the two play a little and then we were on our way.

I don't know if this seems silly to non-corgi people, but it is so much fun! They are such quirky little dogs, but only other owners can truly relate and it's awesome to find one! Just another reason why I love my corgi blogs and corgi forums and websites.. And it makes me so excited to meet others in person! :)

15 comments:

Joan said...

I understand 100%! I've only seen one corgi since we got the girls. I was dropping them off at the vet and as I was walking out I saw a gorgeous full grown tri. I didn't have the girls with me to connect with the owner so I was just a creepy lady staring for a really long time at this dog!

I agree that we corgi owners are just as goofy as our corgis. I think they bring out a really silly side of us.

Angela said...

I'm with ya there girl! Just about a year ago I spotted a cori not far from our house. They had two of them 1 was tri and the other was red. I see them every once in a while but I am always looking for them! Then I was driving in town and seen a lady in a wheel chair with a dog. It was a black and white cardigan! I've never seen one of those. I'm glad I didn't wreck my truck when I seen them I was so excited! lol

Hugs,
Angela

Al said...

Nope, not silly or crazy. I'm only an owner through extension (my girlfriend, Les, is Herman's owner, though I do like to think of myself in that role, too), but I still feel a lot of what you mentioned. Corgis are just some of the most fun and lovable dogs out there, and I think anyone who owns one can't help but feel special because of it.

-Al-

a corgi said...

I love your description of the multi-corgi family; they sound adorable!! can you imagine more than one of them at a time???

I know exactly what you mean, Kelly; there is a special connection between corgi owners and corgis themselves. Koda is antisocial towards 99.9% of dogs, but.......he is less antisocial towards corgis. They must have their own unique scent within themselves or something, but his ears perk up differently when he sees a corgi versus any other breed.

and when I find a new corgi blog, I'm always very eager to follow them. Gotta love our corgis :)

betty

^..^Corgidogmama said...

It's true~~there's a corgi circle, and it's so exciting to have other corgi sightings! We always yell "corgi" as well, and it makes us all happy. We've seen them everywhere on our travels. Many are snarlers though at campgrounds. Corgis just seem to make people smile...it must be the bubble butt!

Dangerspouse said...

You've gotta find out when they hold the next CorgiPalooza in your area. It's riotous mayhem watching 30 or 40 of the little buggers all running around trying to herd each other. It looks like a blur of giant teddy bear hamsters. My own Pem was 4 pounds lighter by the end of the day. Go!

Dozer and Coop said...

We understand - we are afterall corgis! Mum loves it when folks stop us and oooo and ahhhh over our cuteness. We have a club here in our area (The Corgi Picnic) and we get together and there are herds of Pembrokes and Cardigans all over!

Love, Dozer, Dottie and Cooper

Whosyergurl said...

Kelly,
I totally agree! We are always on the look-out for other Corgis! It is a wonderful club to belong to! On Monday, we are going to start agility with Chelsea. Wonder how that will go? Too fun!
Have you done any classes, yet?
hugs, your sister Corgi mom, Cheryl

Kelly's Ideas said...

cute story - neighbor has a corgi - I love him - name is Buttercup.... very quirky dog
Love,
kelly

Annie and Maggie said...

I'm with you! We're a wild corgi bunch, eh? We've lived in our neighborhood for a little over 6 years and thought we were the only corgi owner (we had one prior to our 2 new pups) -- lo and behold, since we've gotten Bella and Baxter, corgis are coming out of the woodwork around here! It's an interesting club; one of which I'm happy to belong!

Sabrina Horton said...

My husband and I totally do the same thing when we are out and about when we see another Corgi. Who can resist those stubbers?

Ivy@PaperElixir said...

Yes, it's a corgi people thing ;) We would also run across the street to greet another corgi (well, at least before we had a stroller) :p BTW, I think the corgi calendar is a great idea, keep us posted!

Lynn said...

Yes, I love the corgi club! I think Lucy actually likes corgis better as well...

JulieandCaleb said...

The corgi club is the best, no doubt about it. It's a special breed, and takes a special sort of person to really appreciate (*ahem* WORSHIP) them. :-)

Jules said...

Oh I know! I call it the "cult" lol It is like a little secret club that nobody understands until you get one. It's so much fun meeting other corgi owners and it's been rare when I've met one that's mean or not friendly as well!

Related Posts with Thumbnails