Thursday, July 30, 2009

So far, so good

I'm happy to say that after visiting the vet, Gibson is back to his old self! :)

I was so nervous to go there... I feared the worst that he had something really wrong with him (a blockage, bloat, poison).. Luckily, the vet checked him over and did a fecal test and it seems he just had an increase in bacteria & mucus, which could have been caused by the italian beef or something else he ate. She said he looked hydrated & healthy otherwise. His tummy was soft and he did not look in pain when she pressed on it. So yay! He was prescribed with a bland diet (some sort of prescription canned food) along with meds (some kind of antibiotic & an anti swelling powder to put in his food) and sent us home.

They told me that the antibiotic would make him feel better almost immediately and it did! About 15 minutes after I fed him and gave him the pill, he was running around looking for more food and wanting to play :) I am also happy to say that he has had no diarrhea or vomiting since the 4am incident yesterday morning! Hooray! :) The real test came this morning, when he pooped for the first time since said incident... and it was solid!! Yayyy!

I'm going to keep an eye on him and really stick to his bland diet until I need to start mixing in his regular food again. Let me tell you though, it's so hard not to give him treats! It has made me realize how many treats I normally give him in day lol. Maybe this will make me cut down on those too..

I'll continue to keep you guys updated. Thank you all so much for the help and good thoughts that you have sent. It means so much :)

11 comments:

Joan said...

I'm so glad he is better! My Zoe-zoe has a tender tummy and every time she gets a litte, um loose, I worry. We lost our beloved Abbey to renal failure and her first symptoms were vomiting and loose stool. I get worried and I was worried about Gibson.

a corgi said...

YEA that Gibson is feeling better! I'm glad it wasn't anything too serious and that Gibson is being back to his usual normal cute self!

betty

JuLo said...

Isn't it crazy how excited you can get over your dog's poop being solid? I've done a happy dance myself when Theo's been under the weather. Hehe. I'm so glad it's nothing serious and he's back to his old self! Sometimes going to the vet is worth it, just for peace of mind.

Aj said...

Yay! I'm glad to hear he's back to normal. :)

ClassyChassy said...

WOnDerFuL news about Gibson! It is so sad to have a family member feel so ill! Take good care of him for us!

Bella Fiori Glass Studio said...

That's wonderful news! Paddington had similar symptoms once. Once we woke us up in the middle of the night vomiting every few minutes for an hour. The emergency vet couldn't find anything. Then all was fine for a few weeks--until we had a repeat. This happened a few times over a few months like clockwork and all the vets could guess was that it was a foreign object working through his system sometimes blocking things up. The day I brought him in for surgery the vet did a last x-ray to try to pinpoint where this mystery blockage was. It was then that she saw that one of his organs was swollen -- a sign of whip worm. A good course of antibiotics and he's been fine ever since! Surgery avoided... phew.

WinnietheCorgi said...

yay, I'm so glad he's feeling better!

Lori said...

I'm SO glad to hear Gibson is feeling better! Thanks for letting us know!

Annie and Maggie said...

YAY for Gibson! And congratulations go to you, too, because only a true Corgi lover would get excited over solid poop. :-)

Baxter and Bella are happy for Gibson, too. :-)

Whosyergurl said...

YAY! Gibson is better! It is so scary when our kids are sick, isn't it?
Hugs to both,
Cheryl (& Chelsea)

Ivy@PaperElixir said...

So glad he's feeling better :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails