Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Better Day, Worse Night

Gibson seemed almost 100% better yesterday. When I came home for lunch, he had eaten all of his food, he had energy & he was 'smiling'. And he was hungry! He ate treats that he was spitting out the day before and was trying to reach kibble that had rolled under our oven. It was such a relief! I got to leave work early and when I came home all he wanted to do was play. So we played 'fetch' with his favorite squeaky toy for a good 20 minutes. I walked him later on and then he wanted to play some more. I fed him (less than usual + rice) and he ate, but not all of it. Later, I walked him again and he pooped (for the first time yesterday) and it was almost completely solid (still a little squishy though). In any case, he definitely seemed on the mend.

Well, over night I was woken up by my husband saying, "What's wrong? What's wrong?" I thought I was probably having a nightmare that woke him up, but then I saw Gibson standing on our pillows. Apparently he had been pacing around our bed. I grabbed him immediately and took him out. I thought he probably just really needed to poop, since he had only done so once yesterday. Well he did, and then it turned into diarrhea. He was out there for a good 5 minutes pooping. *sigh*

The vet opens in 15 minutes so I am going to give them a call. Hopefully we can get in there soon :(

16 comments:

ClassyChassy said...

How horrid - poor little dog. Hope a few tablets of something will help him come to grips with what ails him!

Al said...

Poor little guy. :( Good news is he's clearly otherwise healthy and has a mom and dad who will make sure he gets fixed up. :)

Annie and Maggie said...

Oh geeze - I'm so worried about him. It sounded like things were really going well. I'm glad you're taking him to the vet. Somethin' ain't right.

Still sending really good thoughts your way. Keep us posted!

Dozer and Coop said...

When this happens with Dozer, he gets a tablespoon of Bepto Bismol (on the vet's advice) and the rice diet. So sorry to hear about little Gibson! Let us all know how he does.

Joan said...

Sending good vibes your way and hoping Gibson is better soon!

a corgi said...

wise to call the vet, Kelly; I'm thinking things are working through his system, but its just taking a long time to do so; good to see what the vet has to say and recommends to help your little buddy feel better

betty

Anonymous said...

Our vet usually makes the dogs go 24 without any food at all after a "gastro" event to make sure they are totally recovered. This last bout may have just been a result of a not quite recovered intestinal system, but a trip to the vet is definitely in order.
My guess would be an anti-inflammatory drug like metronidazole and some famotidine.
Skippy, Dodie and Faye's mom Cookie

^..^Corgidogmama said...

My "kids" are sending corgi good wishes, and I'm so glad that you're calling the vet.

Lynn said...

Oh no! I hope he feels better soon!

Aj said...

Get well soon Gibson!

~ Donna ~ said...

Oh no, sending hugs & kisses!!!

I hope all goes well at the vet!

Kelly said...

Well, it seems Gibson has way more tummy bacteria than is usual. No parasites or anything major it doesn't seem. He was put on a bland diet w/meds. Will update in the morning..

Lesley Collins said...

The same thing has been going on with my Corgi Herman. He is just finishing off his round of meds and bland food.

Firstdraughtfarm said...

Yep, I'm with Dozer & Coop -- except I have Pepto Bismal tablets -- or Immodium. That w/a rice dinner usually does it every time. Keep us posted!

Lindsey said...

Poor Gibson :( Frankie & I hope he gets well soon.

Annie and Maggie said...

Glad he's on the Corgi cocktail (bland food and meds). That should do the trick!

The general rule is that dogs shouldn't have people food (except maybe rice).

Related Posts with Thumbnails