Thursday, April 23, 2009

Rally Graduation

Well, Rally class is done and over with.  We ended up with a score of 96/100, which was good enough for 2nd place (out of 3 dogs haha).  We probably would have come in last, but the girl that went first did one of the stations wrong, so that lost her 10 points.  

Gibson did not do horribley, but I decided he just is not cut out for this kind of performing.  At home he is perfect, but in class he acts like a total goofball!  He has such a hard time concentrating on me instead of the other dogs around him.  The moving stations he does great with, but as soon as we have to stop and do something he gets all googly-eyed and acts like he's never listened to me a day in his life.  Downs were always impossible in class and of course there was a "down - walk around your dog" and a "moving down" on the test.  I knew there was going to be at least one down on the test so we have been practicing at home like crazy!  And every time he would lay down immediately, so I thought we were good to go last night... 

The first down was the very first station, right in front of where everyone was standing, so I knew it was going to be a problem.  After asking him about 5 times though he finally laid down (yay good boy!), but as soon as we moved on he decided it was play time and kept jumping up on me to play with his leash (ah! maybe leash jumping is not the best game to play with him! lol).  I finally got him to settle down and breezed through the next few stations until we got to "moving down".  For this you basically skip "sit" and instead motion your dog to lay down as you are walking.  I knew it was going to be a challenge and Gibson did not disappoint.  After a few tries I finally had to lift his front legs out from underneath him to get him to lay down..  The rest was easy and went quickly.  We finished the course in 3:25 which I guess wasn't bad.  

The trainer said we all could go and compete in akc rally events and do well.  I just don't think rally is my thing though.  It just was not that fun to me.   Classes were not bad, cause we could goof off and it wasn't a big deal, but I can't picture us competing ever.  I think we will probably move on to agility and maybe try some herding.  See if something sticks that we both like :)  I'll probably just do another rally class if Gibson starts acting up again, since it is way more fun than regular obedience classes!  In the end, it was worth the $55 and he is listening to me better and starting to walk on a leash more like a normal dog :)  I guess that's all that matters!

6 comments:

ClassyChassy said...

That is the most important thing - he is listening better! Funny, he sounds a lot like my corgis!!! They would not do well in Rally, either, I guess!

Trisha said...

YAY Gibson! :)

Infrared Goggles said...

Awww, wish I could have seen him! Seems like he had fun, yet I can imagine that it can be nerve wracking for the "mama". You have convinced me, we have to try a rally class. I may be too much of a perfectionist (and Teg too independent) for the competitive aspects, but the class souunds cool. :)

a corgi said...

WTG for second place!!! (at least it wasn't last, right??) Sounds like it was a good thing to participate in and give Gibson a chance to learn some new things and to work on training things with him.

I'm still trying to figure out how a normal dog walks on a leash, LOL; we haven't quite mastered that yet, but our walks are never dull for sure!!

I hope you do sign him up for herding; that will be fun to read about since their herding instinct is so sharp

have a great weekend!

Ivy@PaperElixir said...

Yay, congrats! Reading this makes me miss doing rally w/ Bryson! Hope you guys find another fun class to take together :)

Cathy Santarsiero, "The Christmas Corgi" said...

Hurray for Gibson!

Related Posts with Thumbnails