Friday, March 13, 2009

Rally Class

The second rally class came and went and I am just now getting to writing about it. I guess that shows you how excited I am ;) Nah, I actually really like it! At first I didn't but now I am getting the hang of it. Here's a description of what Rally is for those of you that are not sure:

AKC Rally is the new dog sport that is taking the nation by storm, a successful stepping stone from the AKC Canine Good Citizen® program to the world of obedience or agility. Rally offers both the dogs and handlers an experience that is fun and energizing. The canine team moves at their own pace, very similar to rally-style auto racing. Rally was designed with the traditional pet owner in mind, but it can still be very challenging for those who enjoy higher levels of competition.

A rally course includes 10 to 20 stations, depending on the level. Scoring is not as rigorous as traditional obedience. Communication between handler and dog is encouraged and perfect heel position is not required, but there should be a sense of teamwork between the dog and handler. The main objective of rally is to produce dogs that have been trained to behave in the home, in public places, and in the presence of other dogs, in a manner that will reflect positively on the sport of rally at all times and under all conditions.


Basically, you walk around to different signs and do what the sign says. It could say things like, "Halt Down", "360 degree right turn", "270 degree left turn", "U Turn to the left", "Halt Sit", etc. The first class was kind of a blur.. It is the same trainer as my basic obedience class, so that was nice that I didn't have to get to know someone else's methods. There are only 4 dogs in class: A Doberman, a Newfoundland, an Australian Cattle Dog & Gibson. The first two have already taken the class multiple times. Oh great, I thought...so Gibson is already a few steps behind most of the class. I was happy that there was another first timer there w/the ACD, but once we got going that dog was the best one in the class practically! Gibson was way too excited and just wanted to play. He either herded me or grabbed onto the leash and wanted to tug-of-war. When he was supposed to lay down he would roll over haha. I think the problem was that I conserved his energy all day cause I knew class was at night (7:45-8:45..pretty much when he usually goes to sleep!). This week I played with him/walked him like normal and he was MUCH better. Only problem is that he WOULD NOT lay down for anything! I kept having to pull his legs out from under him. Such a little jerk! He was just so distracted by the other dogs (the trainer agreed) I could barely get his attention. Walking, circles & u-turns, he was great at though. We will see how it goes from here.

7 comments:

jansplaceusa.blogspot.com said...

I haven't heard of a dog Rally, that sounds fun! My guys are so ill mannered they would get themselves kicked out of class! When we got Milli, I thought she would do great agility..now I think she is is to A.D.D.!

a corgi said...

a dobie, a newfoundland, an australian cattle dog and Gibson; glad they are all "big" dogs (you know corgis think they are a big dog in a small body". what a mix!! sounds like an interesting class and sort of fun! I need to do something like this with Koda; I think he is bored and needs some stimulation other than chasing doves out of the backyard, and of course those dreadful menacing cats

have a good weekend

betty

Pam said...

Our trainer recommended we try Rally! We'll be working on it this summer :)

Ivy@PaperElixir said...

Bryson really loved his rally classes (or maybe it's all the treats that go along with it :>) We found that even though we don't plan to compete, it's a great way to learn to "communicate" with your corgi. Hope you guys enjoy the rest of the classes!

Kelly said...

I wish we could use treats in class! It is a big no-no w/my trainer :( I know Gibson would be a superstar if he had some food dangling in front of his nose :)

ClassyChassy said...

Two of my girls are really rude dogs, the third could care less, and the forth is way too shy and stand-offish to think about competing in anything! I believe it would be fun to try something like that, but do not know if any of my girls would be able to conform!

Jenna Z said...

Ooh, glad to hear you are enjoying rally! Later this week I will posting a HUGE Dog Shows 101 post which includes rally. You might want to tune in to learn the differences between AKC and APDT rally. Not sure which your trainer is involved with (maybe both) but we compete in both and I'm happy to answer questions about either!

Related Posts with Thumbnails