Tuesday, March 17, 2009

One Sick Puppy

My poor little buddy had his first trip to the vet that wasn't routine or planned months in advance. It started last week when he started sneezing a bunch. I figured it was allergies. Spring is coming. I am sneezy too, no big deal. Well, sneezes turned into runny eyes & nose and this weekend it turned into coughing. He had a reverse sneeze attack once or twice a day since Friday and then Sunday he started coughing up mucus & spit. My vet is closed on the weekends so I called first thing Monday morning. Turns out he either has a URI, some other type of nasal infection, or kennel cough, which is quite annoying since I got him the kennel cough vaccine a few weeks ago to go to the corgi meetup. He said there could be traces of kennel cough in the actual vaccine, which could cause the symptoms he is having OR there was a strain of it at the meetup that the vaccine could not fight off. Annoying! $150 later, he is pumped full of antibiotics and doing better. His coughs are less frequent and sneezes are back to normal (he has always been kind of sneezy). Hopefully he will be 100% in a few days :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am taking my corgi in tomorrow for the same problem. He is 7 years old though and has had an UPI before. I wonder what it is with Corgis and the reverse sneezing?

Lesley in Wyoming

Jenna Z said...

Awww, poor little guy.

a corgi said...

poor Gibson!! hoping he's feeling better today! Now I'm worried about Koda; we are going to put him in the kennel (well actually pet suites) in a few days while we have company; but since he's antisocial he won't be around other dogs and they are going to give him the shot for Bordatella(kennel cough) they require it there every 6 months.

its hard when these little pups of ours are under the weather :(

betty

ClassyChassy said...

Get well soon, Gibson!
from Sassy, Prairie, Sissy, and Miss Doodles!

Jans Place said...

I am sorry to hear that Gibson is sick, and the added vet bill too.. my Corgi's haven't been sneezing.. now I will be looking for it though! Milli and Oscar send Gibson their "Corgi" prayers!

Lin said...

Poor guy! They can't tell you what is wrong with them, they just suffer. I hope he's feeling better by now. I think the bill from my vet would've topped $150, lol! Xena sends her best wishes!

Lynn said...

Weird, Lucy has been having runny eyes this weekend too! She seems better now though. Hope Gibson feels better soon!

Kelly said...

Lesley, I don't know, but I hate the reverse sneezes! Is it common for corgis? I thought it was more of a smushed face dog thing..

Betty, I am sure Koda will be fine! No worrying!!

Lynn, I hope it's just allergies or something for Lucy! I think Gibson actually had a combination of allergies & whatever infection/sickness..

Thanks everyone else for the well wishes! He's perky & active..no more hacking, but lots of sneezes *shrug*

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Our male corgi has the reverse sneezes quite often. We were told to put our hand over his nose, and we do, and it stops right away. We've been doing this nearly 9 years, and it's always effective for him!

Kelly said...

I will have to try that! I have always just rubbed his throat to get him to relax, but that sound easier!

Infrared Goggles said...

Awww, hope Gibson feels better soon! Really loved reading about the Rally course, too, had no idea it existed. Give Gibson a kiss for me, poor baby.

Related Posts with Thumbnails