Sunday, March 29, 2009

Darn It!!

No, I am not mad about the 6+ inches of snow last night (although I hope my little tulips that were popping up survive!). Gibson was having the time of his life this morning running around our yard and we had a great walk (he actually moves when there is snow on the ground!).. until we got to our neighbor down the streets house... I dont know if you remember, but I talked here about somewhat of a dog attack that happened to us when I was watching Coal. Well it happend again. Only this time, no one helped me. We came around the corner and I saw the lab sitting in their front lawn. I heard the owner calling her so I figured it would be ok to walk by. It wasnt. As soon as she saw us she came charging at us. Gibson wanted to play at first until she started stomping on him. It is like she wants to smash him to the ground! :( So, I pick Gibson up and then she starts jumping on my back, over and over and over. She a big lab (must be 70-80lbs), much bigger than Coal is, and she is young and completely unsocialized. Her arms kept going over my shoulders. So anyway, I stand there waiting for the owner to come out since I just heard her calling her. Well, she did not come out and the dog is still jumping on me, so I try to walk home (about a block a way). She follows, running through peoples yards and jumping on me trying to get Gibson. I finally get home (arms shaking from carrying 25lbs of dog) and throw Gibson in our screened in porch & attempt to take the lab home. I grab her collar but of course she is pulling me in the oppesite direction..so I just start walking towards their house to get her to follow me. She does and gets in her front yard, but as soon as I turn around to go home she runs after me.. After a few more attempts I decide to go up to their front door & knock and hope someone comes and gets her. A woman finally comes to the door and says nonchalantly, "Oh thanks, where was she?" I said she followed me home and the woman just says, "Oh yeah, she just took off cause she was excited about the snow. Come on Sara Puppy!" and closes the door. I should have said something... I am so mad that I didnt. A dog that unsocialized should not EVER be offleash unsupervised...EVER!! I dont think it is fair for me to be scared or think that I have to walk a different way in my own neighborhood. Argh, I am so upset right now, and my arms are shaking from carrying my fat dog around :(

11 comments:

ClassyChassy said...

You should have said something, indeed. You don't want to make enemies, but perhaps saying that her dog was all over your back while you were trying to walk Gibson, and you did not appreciate it, well - might have triggered some remorse. ya think?

Donna said...

OMG....I can totally relate to this, my little Buddy was attacked by a dog a couple of weeks ago - I was so frightened!!! I hope you both are okay!!!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

When Addie and I were attacked by a loose pit bull, illegally in our neighborhood, and the rental house they were living in...I screamed my bloody head off, and kept kicking at that dang dog. It was just a natural reflex. I will never forget that Mother's Day, soon to be 2 yrs. ago.
Addie, still, will NOT walk in her own neighborhood. She absolutely refuses to do so. Poor little corgis!
Big dogs seem to target them!
Poor Gibson!

a corgi said...

(((Kelly and Gibson))) that's awful!!!

I would call animal control and report the incident, what if it was a child and what if the lab bit it?????

when Koda got attacked back in January, I wished I had reported it. I found out by talking to a disabled man in the neighborhood that he had been attacked by that same dog too but luckily was able to get it away from him before it hurt him. He did call and report it to animal control but by the time they came the dog was already inside and they coulnd't discern where it had come from

you know who the owner is; I'd be tempted to notify animal control since she is so nonchalant about where her dog is

and I'm always of the opinion that any dog will bite despite what their owner might say

hugs to both of you!!!

betty

Kelly said...

Yeah I am still pretty upset about it. I just want to run into them again (on-leash I hope!) and be able to tell them my concerns... :(

Lynn said...

UGH. That is horrible. I'm glad the two of you are ok! I think you should either report it, or tell the owner. Sounds like she's in denial that her cute puppy could possibly do anything wrong...

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate. A lot of people in my apt complex let their dogs roam around off leash and it drives me nuts. I've been bumped into, stepped on and followed up the stairs by dogs much larger than mine. I just don't understand. I'd be too worried about my dog running into the street or running after a kid or something....

Angela said...

OMG! I hope you and Gibson are alright! I would call someone about it. I was just talking to my mom who said that a distant relative was just attacked by a dog in my moms neighborhood. He now has to take rabies shots. They said that their dog had had the rabies shot but they didn't provide any proof of it. I would be all over that one. I live in the country where my dogs can run free but they always get their rabies shots. I'm sure the people a quarter mile away don't take theirs in to get shots.
If that dog follows you home again I definately would not take it back to their house!!!! Seriously, I wouldn't take it back!
Hugs,
Angela

Anonymous said...

I'm angry with you! Has your heart stopped beating fast yet?

Poor Gibson!


Ack....

Nancy
Http://www.nancysclubhouse.com

Kelly said...

Yeah, my mom said I shouldn't have brought the dog back..not sure why I did... I guess I thought I'd be able to confront them about it if I did :(

Freya's Human said...

Grrrr, I hate people like that. They shouldn't have any animals. I hope you didn't get terribly hurt. If the lab has paws like our Weim does, I imagine you may have if you weren't wearing winter clothes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails