Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Best $2 Toy for a Corgi


To all you corgi owners out there, this toy is a must.


It's a huge bouncy ball out of the bins at your local target/walmart/grocery/etc. You know what I'm talking about, right? :) Well, corgis LOVE to herd these things! I first found about about this when I searched for 'corgis herding' on youtube and found this video:


Too cute, right? Well, I had thought about getting Gibson one, but they had already been put away for winter by the time he was big enough to play w/one...and I forgot about it.....until one day on our walk, there was one in someone's yard and Gibson started herding it down the street! The next day he found it again and did the same thing, it was too adorable.

I have been meaning to find him one for a month or so, and this weekend, I finally saw one of the bins at Target and pulled out the biggest red ball I could squeeze out. When I got home I took him outside and threw the ball and he immediately took to it and started herding all around our yard. If he knocks it in my direction I pick it up and toss it the other way, and sometimes he jumps up and hits it off of his nose back at me! It is so much fun and gets out a lot of energy. I promise there will be a video soon! :)

8 comments:

Lynn said...

Huh, interesting. I wonder how Lucy would react. She loves balls, but we used to have this huge exercise ball, and she was scared of that thing. I guess I'll have to get one and try it out! If all else fails I'll show her the video of Gibson and say "that's what you're supposed to do!"

a corgi said...

Koda liked doing this when we had a bigger yard when we lived in Montana; now he's out of the habit since we are in a smaller yard. it was great to watch him play. I would get two balls and kick one, he'd chase that one and then I'd kick the other one and he'd go after that one too. they are so cute, aren't they??

enjoy the day

betty

^..^ Corgi Dog Mama said...

Fantastic video!! This is exactly how our two corgis act when they have a ball...however, the ball never lasts very long, it always pops! Our male is over zealous...and is always so deflated when the ball goes flat. But, for a while, they are in sheer heaven. It makes us laugh and laugh to see them tear so, did it you???

Chantel said...

Corgis are great soccer players! Bella goes CRAZY for the ball, but loves biting it, even though it can't fit in her mouth. We keep having to replace the ball because it ends up with hundreds of bite marks all over. Its so much fun to play with them :-)

Kelly said...

Lynn: Gibson was afraid of the ball at first (it is huge!), but once I kicked it he went running after it :)

Betty: Our yard is teeny tiny, so maybe you could still have fun w/it too!

Corgi Dog Mama: Aw, I did not think of it popping! Gibson nips at it like he's herding something, but I didn't think he'd be able to actually get his teeth in it.... we'll see I guess!!

Chantel: I know, it's so much fun isn't it? My husband wants to get an actual soccer ball and play w/him in our yard in the summer :)

Ivy@PaperElixir said...

They look like they're having a blast! Picasso had one of these, which lasted a day since in the heat of a ball-chasing moment w/ Bryson, he tried to pick it up and punctured it... :( Hope yours will last longer!

Llexan said...

I tried this with Sally, and she absolutely loves her ball! At first she was a little afraid of it, but when I kicked it across the yard, the chased after it and just kept going!

ClassyChassy said...

What a neat idea! I had never thought of using a ball for herding! The movie clip clearly shows those corgis having such fun! Bumped into your blog while getting ready to post to mine - good reading here! I didn't expect to find a possible new toy for my 4 corgis - WONDERFUL! Thanks for sharing this! I'm a follower now!

Related Posts with Thumbnails