Friday, January 23, 2009

The Culprit



The night before last, I woke up to the sound of Gibson running to the edge of the bed and then saw him start trying to throw up.  I popped up, and grabbed him and ran as fast as I could to get him off our brand new carpet.    We made it to the bathroom where he vomited  all over the bathroom rug (a stunt my husband regularly pulls ;) ).   While I was cleaning that off, he walked over and thew up again, just missing the bath mat.  He looked just awful.  He could barely walk and looked so incredibly sad and tired.  His puke did not look much better..there were all sorts of fun things in it (sorry if this is tmi!).    

I decided to take him downstairs to see if he needed to go out and puke some more..but he did not want to go out, so he just laid in the cold porch while I cleaned the bathroom.  When I came back he was curled in a ball looking so sad and tired still, so I just tried to get him to drink a little and eat some canned pumpkin..then snuggled him up in a blanket and took him back to bed.  I thought he'd just fall asleep and feel better in the morning, but kept feeling him shaking at my feet.  Poor thing had the chills for some reason, so I wrapped him in a blanket and curled around him so he'd stop and finally get some rest. 

I felt so bad..was it because I let him chew on a rawhide, while we watched 3 hrs of Lost?   Because I let him run off w/a potato that fell on the ground while I was cooking?   The leaves he kept digging up from under the snow and eating?  

He felt absolutely fine the next day of course.  Was his normal Gibson self.  I told my husband everything that happened while he was asleep and he kept saying he wondered what Gibson ate that made him so sick.  Well, finally last night he fessed up and asked me if he thought the strawberry milkshake that he shared w/him might have been the culprit..  Wow, really??  All I could do was laugh, but I couldn't believe it. We don't feed Gibson junk food! Especially not dairy!  Good job, honey!! ;)

12 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh man! Poor Gibson! That is pretty hilarious that your hubby will share a milkshake with Gibson though. He knows who to make puppy eyes at though! :p

JuLo said...

We've all been there, and it sucks! Poor Gibson! I'm glad he felt better the next day. I'm pretty sure dogs can't digest milk, but assuming it was an ice cream milkshake, that should have been ok (ice cream, yogurt, and cheese are ok). His body probably just wasn't used to it. Poor thing. Oh man, I had so much worse with Theo.

^..^ Corgi Dog Mama ^..^ said...

What a corgi tale of woe!
Our male corgi has an extremely sensitive stomach. He's a puker as well, if he chews a toy up, or eats something "un-corgi."
Our female has a cast-iron stomach and could literally eat a horse!
Good luck with your little feller~
They are all so dear!

a corgi said...

oh poor Gibson! he's looking so grown up these days! lost that puppy look of his!!!

we do the same with running to take Koda to the sink when we know he's going to throw up; its about 50-50 that we make it there

(how was Lost?? we missed it because we had something at church and I don't have DVR; we just got addicted to it this past fall, LOL, bought all the seasons; we just decided to wait it out until it goes to DVD next year probably and catch them all then)

betty

Freya's Human said...

Aaw, poor gibby, I'm glad he's feeling better now! I'm still not sure what Freya ate that made her vomit up some fun things--I know dirt was one of those things.

I can't stand when the puppy is sick--those eyes...they get to me.

Pam said...

Poor Gibson!! I'm glad he feels better--just a little tummy ache :)

Momo has skillfully managed to barf on the carpet a couple of times despite me frantically trying to rush him to the bathroom :\ Sigh...silly corgis.

P.S. I'm pretty excited that Lost has started up again!

Kelly said...

I'm excited Lost is back too :) It's frustrating to watch most of the time, but it sure is entertaining!

Thanks everyone for the well-wishes for Gibson!

^..^ Corgi Dog Mama ^..^ said...

I just love your banner...were you able to make that yourself, or did someone do it for you? I really want a more appropriate banner for my own blog, featuring the corgi kids.

^..^ Corgi Dog Mama ^..^ said...

Oh my gosh, I just saw that you were from Sycamore. We were camp ground hosts at White Pines State Park the past 3 summers, near Oregon/Mt. Morris. Jim grew up in St. Charles, before moving to FL as a teen. We always drove through Sycamore on our way to St. Charles for a nostaglia trip. Small world. We love that part of IL.

Kelly said...

Corgi Dog Mama - Yep, I made the header myself :) It's kind of what I do for a living, so if you need help, let me know!

Yep, Sycamore! I love St. Charles..that our place we go when we want to do something a little different or fancy.. otherwise we are Sycamore snobs and never leave haha!

Cathy Santarsiero, "The Christmas Corgi" said...

Awww..poor baby. Glad he's feeling better! Kiss him on the nose for me.

Ivy@PaperElixir said...

Oh no! Poor Gibson! I hope at least the strawberry milkshake tasted good... :P Hubby also does the same thing with Bryson, I turn around and he's always slipping him something that I wouldn't approve... Hope he's better now!

Related Posts with Thumbnails