Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Best Infomercial Product Eva!

I'll admit it. When I first saw the commercials for Pedipaws & Peticure, I laughed. Come on, I'm sure pets just lovvvve getting their nails filed down by some loud vibrating machine. Ridiculous, I thought. Then I got Gibson. And in the 5 months I've had him, I've been able to clip 4 of his nails total.

I'd try every week. If I came near his foot he'd freak out and run away and hide. Never once did I cut into his quick..but for some reason he just thought I was going to hurt him. His nails were never awful. I walk him 1-2 miles a day on concrete, so they wear down. In fact, his two middle nails on each front foot are ground down so much that one day on a really long walk they started bleeding! The rest are too long in my opinion though, so I always tried to clip them, but it was getting sooo frustrating!

So, I thought I'd give the Pedipaws a try. I found one for $10.95 w/free shipping on eBay, so I thought, what the hey. I followed instructions & got Gibson used to it slowly. Just turning it on and giving him a treat one day. Bringing him closer to me w/it on and giving him a treat the next. Finally, last weekend, I filed my first nail and gave him a piece of leftover chicken. And yesterday, I was having a bad day, so I grabbed him and a tupperware filled w/leftover chicken and went to work! It was fantastic! I sat him upsidedown on my lap while I sat indian style and he let me file each and every nail down (besides the freakishly short ones of course). I could see them instantly getting shorter, it was awesome!

So, my review of the Pedipaws...so worth it! I've heard the Dreml is probably better, but hey, this was cheap & convenient & worked for me!

7 comments:

Nigel, Sola and Co. said...

We got one for Christmas too and are big fans!

Freya's Human said...

I may need to find one for Freya. Even though her nails aren't too bad typically (I guess it is from all the frantic digging she does in the backyard) but she still needs to get used to it. Clips, so far, are not her favorite.

^..^ Corgi Dog Mama ^..^ said...

We have one too for our corgi kids. It worked better than I thought it would, and was well tolerated.

Jenna Z said...

I'm sure it's a fine product but did you try the same desensitizing technique with your nail clipper? It may be all in how you approached it. A while ago, Sully helped me write a tutorial on how to get your dog used to trimming nails:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-trim-your-dog_s-toenails/

and it's basically the same slow and steady desensitizing you used with the pedipaws.

Kelly said...

Jenna, believe me, I did! I tried so hard all the time to get him used to it. I'd sit and play with his paws, give him cheese, let him smell the clippers, etc., etc. and nothing worked!

Ivy@PaperElixir said...

Thanks for sharing! We've been thinking about getting that too, since we aren't taking him to the groomer as often. And hope he's fully recovered from his "procedure" :)

Pam said...

Good to hear a review from a corgi owner about this! I read so many mixed reviews about the pedipaws/peticures that it deterred me from getting it. My boyfriend and I can tag-team Momo and get him to settle down enough to clip his nails, but he clearly hates it :\

Related Posts with Thumbnails