Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Avoiding Puberty

I do not want Gibson to become a 'man'. I really don't. It's getting close to that time when puberty should be kicking in and I really hope I can beat it, haha (a little over a month til neutering day!). Growing up, my family always had girl dogs, because we did not want to deal w/humping and leg lifting. I was planning on getting a girl corgi too, but then I just fell in love w/Gibson. So far, Gibson has not shown any signs of manliness though (besides humping some toys when he was 8 weeks old, but I think we nipped that in the bud!). I've kept him away from intact males and dogs that I know mark their territory (cover your eyes, Gibson!). I don't let him sniff trees too long either...he might get ideas... Last weekend I thought all of this work was going to go down the drain when the other puppies at thanksgiving were all humping each other. Luckily, Gibson seemed to think they were all just a bunch of jerks for doing so, so maybe he did not think it was a cool enough behavior to copy. I think I may be crazy, but I'd really prefer him to pee like a girl and cover his eyes during r rated movies :)

6 comments:

JuLo said...

I hear you! I was really worried about this too, but Theo is totally unmanly. He has never humped a thing in his life, and actually gets pretty indignant when he sees other dogs doing it. You should come and visit So Cal, maybe Theo can rub off his old man-ness on Gibson. ;)

Kelly said...

Haha, old man-ness! I will definitely let you know if we're ever in the area :)

Corgidogmama~ said...

Jake, our male tri, was neutered at 6 mo. He's never humped anything in his life, and is the most laid back, love everybody sort of guy. He doesn't know a stranger!

a corgi said...

I didn't want Koda to lift his leg either and then we went on vacation when he was 5 months old and I boarded him (at this really nice place where he got to intermingle with the other dogs) and he learned how to lift his leg; he never did the other thing though thankfully! we were going to neuter him anyway, but we had to neuter him after that stay at the kennel; he didn't get along with the other dogs and they thought neutering would help; it didn't though; he still doesn't get along with other dogs :(

betty

MoonMystic said...

I understand. Tank was neutered early and still pees spread eagle. The other males in the house were rescues who were neutered late. And our 13 y.o. is not neutered at all (he came that way and is too old to neuter now). Funny thing, though. Watching the others mark and such has made Tank start marking...without leg lifting! Funniest thing you ever saw! And as for humping, my alpha female is the only one who humps. Ughh!

Kelly said...

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone on this and am right to keep him away from seeing other dogs bad habits!

Related Posts with Thumbnails