Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Ow. Stairs.

Since we've had Gibson, stairs have been an issue for him (like most short legged puppies!). It took him about a month to be able to go up short flights of stairs and going down has never crossed his mind as an option. I thought this was a good thing, since it meant we did not have to worry about Gibson going upstairs and peeing on the carpet or running off of the front porch after a squirrel when we're sitting on it. Plus, I've read that it's good for corgi puppies to wait til they're at least 6 months to start using a lot of stairs, for back reasons. I've of course have had to be his personal elevator, but that's a small price to pay I thought.

My husband, on the other hand, has been trying to get Gibson to go up and down stairs since we got him. He thinks it's cute. And he finally succeeded last weekend at getting Gibson to run all the way up our stairs after me...which means, Gibson now follows me every time I have to go to the bathroom (our only 1 is upstairs)....which means I usually have to keep him in there w/me so he doesn't wonder off into our bedrooms and do something he shouldn't.. Fabulous. Not having to carry him up the stairs is nice though..especially since he's getting bigger.

Now, carrying him down..

Yeah, I still have to do that..cause I've always said to my husband, "Don't tell him to go down the stairs. He'll fall and break his neck".

Well, last night as I was carrying him down our flight of oh 15 or so stairs, I slipped and fell...and yeah, hurt my neck. Gibson was fine (still in my arms), he just wanted to make sure I was ok.

Maybe it's about time you learned to go down stairs, kiddo :)

4 comments:

Chantel said...

Shame Kelly...are you ok?

Bella is completely frightened of stairs. I took her to a friends house one day, and they have stairs. Bella was happily playing with their dog upstairs when all of a sudden I hear a loud noise...
Bella rolled down the flight of stairs...and im not talking about like 5 steps...its probably like 25-30 steps!!!
Oh...my heart was pounding...I was so scared that she was hurt...but luckily she was ok...except now she refuses to go near stairs.
I guess its kinda a good thing because she'll be safer this way :-)

Kelly said...

I'm ok, was in pain yesterday (I think I strained my neck, and the pain went all the way down to my tail bone), but I'm doing better today thanks to lots of pain killers and an icy hot patch!

Gosh I would have a heart attack if that happend to Gibson! Corgis are tough little things aren't they? I guess cause they're so compact!

Ivy@PaperElixir said...

Ouch! I hope you're feeling better! We've never had a corgi puppy (we got Bryson as an adult), so I can't say if it's safe for Gibson to use the stairs or not at this age. But one thing I can tell you is that these guys are much tougher than they look :) When I'm all careful about him not "hurting his back" in any activity, it's usually me who ends up tumbling and breaking something... :P

JuLo said...

Gibson is probably a little young to be going down stairs, but I can tell you how I taught Theo to go down ours: We had to physically pull him down. It's not as bad as it sounds though! Basically I took his front paw and gently pulled them down the first step, then I pulled his back legs down. Then I pulled his front legs down the second step, and then the back ones. After 3 or 4 steps like this Theo figured it out and just walked down the rest of them. For a week or so I had to get him started and he would finish, and after a week or so, he could do it all on his own. That's just what worked for me. I hope you'll let us know what works for you! :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails